leakdown question

justtwistit

Aug 13, 2009
Arkansas
I did a leakdown test last night and over 10 min at 10 psi I lost 3 psi so ended the test at 7 psi. My question is that while performing the test I stuck the gear case breather tube in my soapy water and bubbles were steadying coming outdoes this mean that my crank seal on the clutch side is bad?

I agree with this guy ^^^
I would also like to add that leak down testing at too high of presure will cause it to leak. 5-7 psi is fine.

ok thanks guys. i have already replaced the stator side seal because it was making bubbles when sprayed so thats why i wondered about the clutch side. the bubbles from the breather tube were coming out about every second.

question though how could that point to the case be leaking? were the halfs come together it out side the clutch cover?
nevermind reread ur post and i missed the crack between cases part sorry i thought u meant were they bonded

If you have the will and inclination, pop a new seal in there, its going to have to be done soon anyway if it is leaky now.

You should only go up to 7 psi to test. I would recheck it at 7 psi max and see of it still does it.

^^^ fo shizzle!^^^^

BTW- did you read the instructions? #3

leaktest001.jpg

no i didnt but i remember reading phangles post from way back and he said 10 psi if i do remember correctly.

also one more question i put the seal out tonight and the balancer gear spun around so now im not sure if it is set up right or not. the dots are matched up on the gears but i didnt know if it could be out of balance by 180*. is there any quick way to check?

check the manual. it explains the dots on the gears that need to be matched up
I checked the manual and it explained nothing beside line the dots up so I guess I have it right. If u look at the pic the keyways on both are pointed straight up with the weighted side of the balancer pointed down and the crank lobes are down. So I guess set the motor up straight and put piston at TDC and then match up top?

Thanks slickerthanyou I guess I forgot that point

I checked the manual and it explained nothing beside line the dots up so I guess I have it right. If u look at the pic the keyways on both are pointed straight up with the weighted side of the balancer pointed down and the crank lobes are down. So I guess set the motor up straight and put piston at TDC and then match up top?

Looking at the manual, I have to agree with ya! TDC, balancer down!

This is a question for Ken or sicivic!

As long as the two gears with the dots are lined up you are good, as both of the gears that mesh have a keyway which makes it fool proof. So you are all good.

As promised:
IMG_1137.jpg

Works well, the gun allows slow but consistent input. Wouldn't recommend unless you guys cant attain pressure because of a serious leak.

That's how my one i use at home one is set up! I:I

Thanks for the tester by the way. I wasnt expecting it to have the medical hand pump which i really like! I:I

Anyone looking for a leakdown tester I recommend Slicker's, really a nice piece he makes.