Leak Test on my 1996 Polaris Indy Sport

Mar 16, 2011
Utica, New York
I built my own leak tester thanks to some pictures on here so I could test the engine in this sled I just got. It showed symptoms of an air leak...it would bog down when I hit the gas and didn't want to idle. Also, I made a carb synch tool, and no matter how much I adjusted the idle, the right carb was always drawing more air.
Once I hooked up the leak tester, I thought I was losing my mind because it wouldn't build any pressure. I made sure beforehand that my tester was airtight, (which it was). Sure enough, my left crank seal was so worn out that the engine couldn't even build any pressure!! I'm ordering a whole gasket set soon so I can remedy the problem. I'll put pictures of my setup on here tomorrow if anybody is curious.

Reactions: bummer981 and Awk08
good job finding the problem and not frying any bacon.
for sure show us your rig !

Here is the entire engine. At first I thought that each side of the engine would be independent from each other, but it turns out that air transfers between both sides of the engine, so I had to block off both intakes, both exhausts, both oil injectors, as well as the fuel pump diaphragm outlet to create my "airtight" engine. The crank seal you see in the picture is the one that is faulty. I will also note that the living room is not my workshop XD
Engine.jpeg

This picture shows how I blocked off the exhaust. It is just 1/8" thick steel plates bolted to the exhausts with an exhaust gasket to seal it. My neighbor was kind enough to make these for me.
Exhaust.jpeg

And here is my homemade leak tester! All parts were purchased at The Home Depot, except for the gauge, which I got at Autozone.
Tester.jpeg