leak between the intake boot and reed cage

noid

Jun 13, 2008
Got my leakdown tester from slicker and cant even manage to pump any pressure into the cylinder because of a leak between the intake boot and the reed cage. Whats up with that? I made sure to torque it to spec (8 nm) and its still leaking. As far as I understand there is no gasket here?

i had troubles trying to use a gasket there because of the factory rubber ridges that are supposedly the gasket ???
try some hi-temp copper perma gasket, let it dry overnight before trying the leakdown test again or running it

i had troubles trying to use a gasket there because of the factory rubber ridges that are supposedly the gasket ???
try some hi-temp copper perma gasket, let it dry overnight before trying the leakdown test again or running it

^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly! I don't know if yamabond works on rubber surface??

i have a set of vf3's in my sons bike, that the previous owner used yamabond to seal them, i wanted to remove the reed spacer.....yeah right,
that sh*ts on there fo-life
i'd keep the yamabond where it belongs, between case halves

The most readily available stuff I have is RTV blue or RTV ultra black, worth a shot? Or should i get the copper stuff?

The most readily available stuff I have is RTV blue or RTV ultra black, worth a shot? Or should i get the copper stuff?

i'm not too familiar with either, see if one or the other say "fuel resistant" ??
i think the black is a better grade than blue ???
i'm not even sure the copper is, but it's been working for me

I think the copper is good upto 700F versus the utra black is good upto 500F (cures faster also). The ultrablack is supposed to be more oil resistant then the blue.

I use a gasket there, with a very very light coat of grey rtv. Never had a leak there to date, (knock on wood).

On the yamabond, one time I had a clutch issue, tore the gasket and yamabond is all that I had there to seal it back up with. It was REALLY stuck on there when I went to remove it. Had to give it a tap with the dead blow to loosen it up

I must either be retarded or something is up. I still cant seem to get any pressure into there after making a gasket with ultra black. I cant even make enough pressure to create bubbles. I have a feeling the expansion plug isnt working on the exhaust, since there seems to be a ring that is in the exhaust whole and the plug is only sealing the inner part of that.

Took a closer look, i think the plug is sealing ok, so the problem lies elsewhere. This is getting frustrating.

Last edited:
I must either be retarded or something is up. I still cant seem to get any pressure into there after making a gasket with ultra black. I cant even make enough pressure to create bubbles. I have a feeling the expansion plug isnt working on the exhaust, since there seems to be a ring that is in the exhaust whole and the plug is only sealing the inner part of that.

Took a closer look, i think the plug is sealing ok, so the problem lies elsewhere. This is getting frustrating.

In that case you might want to check the torque on the head and base bolts.

And retorque them if necessary.

the ring in the exhaust is the crush gasket, remove it for a better seal

Also try to feel around any gasketed areas, if you have soapy water on it and its leaking that badly it Should blow bubbles like crazy.

Just think, as frustrating as this is now.... if you weren't going through it now you'd be going back through the engine later when it blew :eek: