Lapping cases at home

Fast6hand

Oct 10, 2013
West Palm Beach
Can I lap the cases by applying large piece of sandpaper(fine grit) to the work bench and working the case slowly in a figure 8 until flat? What you guys think?

Yes, but you will have to find a 100% flat surface! Workbench won't work. I use a sheet of 10mm thick glass as a flat surface.

Tip: spray a light coat of marking blue or any spray paint on the surface you are trying to lap, you will see the low spots easily.

Yes, but you will have to find a 100% flat surface! Workbench won't work. I use a sheet of 10mm thick glass as a flat surface.

Tip: spray a light coat of marking blue or any spray paint on the surface you are trying to lap, you will see the low spots easily.
What grit sandpaper?

600 grit is fine, but if you need to take off more, you can try 400, but I would rather use the 600. 800 will do, but takes a bit long.

I still strongly suggest a sheet of glass... it doesn't have to be 10mm thick.

See what the other members suggest too.

Reactions: Fast6hand
600 grit is fine, but if you need to take off more, you can try 400, but I would rather use the 600. 800 will do, but takes a bit long.

Alright that sounds good. And you take just enough off that's it, right? I guess if I have any real low spot I can put extra sealant. I'm sure there's only so much you can take off before having clearance issues.

You dont really want to take off anything! But the idea is to have the two halves perfectly flat. To seal properly, the idea is not to fill up inperfections with sealer, but rather have perfect mating surfaces.

I would also strongly suggest yamabond or 3bond! It is worth it. And where I stay, 3bond costs a wee bit more than loctite ultra blah blah (which is an excellent product, but I dont use it for this application)

You dont really want to take off anything! But the idea is to have the two halves perfectly flat. To seal properly, the idea is not to fill up inperfections with sealer, but rather have perfect mating surfaces.

I would also strongly suggest yamabond or 3bond! It is worth it. And where I stay, 3bond costs a wee bit more than loctite ultra blah blah (which is an excellent product, but I dont use it for this application)
Ok I understand. I was going to pick up some yamabond. Now on the hunt for a big piece of sandpaper.

Alright that sounds good. And you take just enough off that's it, right? I guess if I have any real low spot I can put extra sealant. I'm sure there's only so much you can take off before having clearance issues.
If you have a real low spot, extra sealant may not do the job.

Yamabond is not a gasket maker, it is designed to bond mating surfaces, not to fill holes.

Usually you do not have to remove much material as high spots are the norm, unless someone has rammed a tool in to split the cases and damaged them.

If you have a real low spot, extra sealant may not do the job.

Yamabond is not a gasket maker, it is designed to bond mating surfaces, not to fill holes.

Usually you do not have to remove much material as high spots are the norm, unless someone has rammed a tool in to split the cases and damaged them.
No I used a separator. The cases weren't split until I just did it. I figured it wouldn't take much to make them flat. I wanted to do it as a good preventive measure. I mean I'm doing everything else. Thanks for the input.

I agree....I would not even do this without using the 10mm plate glass . I have a 12"x12" Ive used for years.

Glass, granite or surface plate is only thing I would use. Consider a drymarker for marking/checking, paint would clog paper.
I actually did it today. I used a piece of glass from a side table I had. I duct taped two sheets to the glass. Then I used a crayola marker and colored the surfaces. Made a figure 8 pattern with both cases until marker was gone. Also it took all the nasty off the cases. Seemed to work great. I put both cases together on the bench and shined a light through them. Didn't see any high spots. Nice even surfaces. I'm assuming that without bolts holding them together you will get light through the cases.

Granite counter top would also work....
I actually did it today. I used a piece of glass from a side table I had. I duct taped two sheets to the glass. Then I used a crayola marker and colored the surfaces. Made a figure 8 pattern with both cases until marker was gone. Also it took all the nasty off the cases. Seemed to work great. I put both cases together on the bench and shined a light through them. Didn't see any high spots. Nice even surfaces. I'm assuming that without bolts holding them together you will get light through the cases.
Now you believe us ?;)