kx500 powered blaster

This is my son racing in the pro-1 class at Big Lake Alaska. He started to overheat about half way through the race so he lost some power. I originally only put one radiator on the quad because there really isn't a good place to put a second one and I thought I could get away with only one.

It took a lot of work to get that engine to fit, but I think the results show it was worth the effort.

i always liked this big radiator and where they mount it........

Photo Album < link to website

sideview.jpg

headkit.jpg.w300h225.jpg

I like that too, but I have a sway bar there. I have one radiator on the left side of the engine, and I'm putting the second under the left rear fender. I also ordered a set of dual core radiators (kx500) to replace the stock. Have to wait and see what happens this weekend when we race it. Thanks for the tip.

Nice quad and great win. I'm in the process of building an ice racing Blaster. I should be able to fire it up tonight and hoping to get enough ice to race it next weekend. Got any tips for setting up the front end? The quad has been lowered (sits 4" from the frame to the ice) and we're running ASR +3 +1 arms with works shocks. Tires are running screws and no anti sway bar. I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what I'm doing on a track without jumps. Any help would be great!

Ken, I try to keep the front end relatively light, about 1-2" higher than the rear (static). Set your rear shock fast on compression, slow on rebound. Crank the preload up on the right front (remember you won't have a lot of weight on it anyway. Set the tires with a little 10-20mm toe out. When your hitting the corners, get your right foot back and out on the nerf bar and put your weight out there. We don't run a lot of screws in our front tires, I prefer sliding it through the corners and keeping the RPMs up rather than "driving" it through the corners. jmho.

As far as the other quads on the ice, I think they were all 450s. Can Am, Honda and Yamaha. The two quads in the back row were in the class higher than the quads in the front row. All the quads in the front row were running AMA legal tires/screws.

It's a cool quad, but not a lot of Blaster left on it. +5,+1 SMS A-arms, Custom +4 swinger, Banshee +4 Axle, Fasst Flexx bars (to tame some of the vibration), Major rework on the frame to fit the engine, probably a more that I can't think about right now. My profile pic shows my son on it last year when we were still running the stroked big block blaster motor. he was racing youth class then and they complained about him moving up to the pro class. So, I move him up and they're complaining again after the first race that he needs to move up to the outlaw class.

4 chokes sound like a Briggs&Stratton with a bad muffler. 2s sounds like a formula 1, and they have to spin 17,000rpm to sound as good as a 2s.

JMHO, your results may and will vary.

I agree maybe it just because been runing 2 strokes for ever in snowmobiles and bikes forever and nothing sweeter than a 2 stroke with pipe _ pipes no matter how many cylinders

Wow that is awesome and alot of motor crammed in there. Great riding by your son too by the way. I dont care what you got in the bike you still gotta have the skills to handle it.

man he was way out in front.lol it'd be funny if you were waiting there in a lawn chair and beverage waiting for the others to get there.