kick starting and idling

JimmyJ

Sep 30, 2009
Rindge nh
Ok it take me alotta kicks to get mine running and when running it doesnt idle if i let go the throttle it dies on me. but reving it sounds normal like it should any ideas??

Sounds like your engine may have weak compression, either in the cylinder or crankcase. Have you done a cylinder compression test yet? Any reading under 100 PSI, and I'd take the top end apart for a thorough inspection.

If the cylinder compression tests good, do a leakdown test on your crankcase. This test will tell you if the bottom end of the engine is airtight, which it must be for proper operation. If you uncover a leak, take the time to check all your seals, reeds, gaskets, and the carb. boot with soapy water. Bubbles will show you where the air is escaping. Any air leak (even a small one) on a 2-stroke will result in an engine that still runs but resolutely refuses to idle. Fix the leaks you find, make sure your carb. boot isn't torn, and it ought to run fine again. :D

a couple simple things would be a clean air filter and fresh gas also..you can turn the idle srew up a little also..