Kdx 200

'blanshee'man

Sep 15, 2008
There is a 1987 kdx for sale near me for cheap money. It runs and all he is just getting rid of it. Im really thinking of doing a motor swap. Any opinions on the kdx as far as power goes? stock is about 37hp @8000 rpms

You might want to look at that power figure a little closer. In the late 80's, the 250 mx bikes were barely at 40hp. The KDX200 was pretty mild in comparison. Stouter than a stock Blaster though for sure. If I was to guess, I'd put stock KDX power more around the 30hp mark.

i have a kdx for now but it isnt running now but it was running awhile back and its pretty fast. thats even with problems. its a 88 and isnt a 87 aircooled?

600 for the whole bike so i can take all that i need from it and sell the rest. or 500+ for a big bore and more because have to the buy all the other stuffs to make it worth it. Plus i get a cool project out of it

600 for the whole bike so i can take all that i need from it and sell the rest. or 500+ for a big bore and more because have to the buy all the other stuffs to make it worth it. Plus i get a cool project out of it
I agree, why have what everyone else can have? You might not have a monster of a bike but you will have something completely different and cool.

I also believe that kdx's have a counterbalancer so vibrations shouldn't be a big deal. Also they are boxed up from the factory, much like a blaster, throw a few mods into it and you have a completely different bike.

the KDX engines where the same for like 10 years after they went to watercooling. They arent high horsepower engines and they arent really made to be. They tried to give them alot of torque but that doesnt really work with a meduim bore two stroke like this. If they have big bore kits you should look into them. High horsepower isnt really going to be there because of thier ignition timing also.

Yes blasterdude my thoughts almost exactly ! Im not looking for a monster that i cant get out of 3rd gear.

the KDX engines where the same for like 10 years after they went to watercooling. They arent high horsepower engines and they arent really made to be. They tried to give them alot of torque but that doesnt really work with a meduim bore two stroke like this. If they have big bore kits you should look into them. High horsepower isnt really going to be there because of thier ignition timing also.

And yes again, i have been looking for big bore kits for it before i buy anything, but that would be my plan; to mod that engine as much as i could

the kdx has the kips system that allows it to pull hard down low and rev really good too it would be a great replacement motor for the blaster and would probably smoke the 240 blasters If it where me I'd keep the 88 kdx so I could swap the engine back and forth though

$600 is a little high though $400 is a good price if the engine is good