Just my luck Blaster won't hold pressure

DrywallDoc

Sep 29, 2015
What can I do to check where the leak is if I can't even hold 1 psi. I suspect my issue is in the bottom end because it is new to me.

Try and listen for air rushing out., heavily soapy water. Check the bottom of the cases for holes or cracks.
Update: removed flywheel/stator to check seal and it was good. Checked all around my intake and found a cracked boot. Changed the boot, resealed and still no pressure. Also sprayed motor all around and found nothing. My next step it to remove clutch cover and check seal in there. Does the cover need to be on or can I check it with it off?

Thank you! It was a combination of the transmission breather and a faulty pressure tester.

not so fast there, if pressure is coming out of the trans breather, that means engine pressure is getting into the trans/clutch area, which it should not be.
it's either that side crank seal or the cases are busted through from crank to trans areas. hopefully it's the seal.
the trans vent should not need blocked to perform a leakdown test, or any reason for that matter. it surely cannot be ran with it blocked off.
to test a right side seal (or busted cases) if a leak is suspected, the trans vent tube should be put into a cup of soapy water to check for pressure leaking out, if it produces bubbles it's time to dig into why ?

sh*t, I knew something was up. I have done other builds before and never needed to plug the transmission breather for a leak test. I hope it's just the seal.

Reactions: Awk08
sh*t, I knew something was up. I have done other builds before and never needed to plug the transmission breather for a leak test. I hope it's just the seal.

The reason I said to block the breather was to see if that is where the pressure is escaping..

With a bit of luck it will only be the seal, they can be replaced without having to split the cases...

The reason I said to block the breather was to see if that is where the pressure is escaping..

With a bit of luck it will only be the seal, they can be replaced without having to split the cases...[/QUOTE

Worked on it for an HR yesterday. Took the clutch cover off and anything else I needed to, to get to the seal. Once I got back there I could tell the previous owner put some silicone around the outside diameter of the seal. Also noticed the crank shaft wiggled a little bit with the seal in. I had a seal laying around but with impatientness and no tools I tried to install it by hand. didn't work. I tried to install it the way the old one came off, but then realized it could have been installed backwards. So my question is how does the seal go? With the little numbers side in or out? Good news is I'm sure it's the seal. When I got the new seal in the shaft was nice and tight, no wiggle. But I messed the seal up,spring poped off. I have 1 last spare seal and would like to install it correctly. Getting bigger socket to drive it in.

Crankshaft shouldn't wiggle.... your seal went bad because that bearing is shot letting the crank move around and hog out the seal....time to split the cases...