jetting

jaddict

Dec 18, 2011
NORTHWEST INDIANA
have 03 with fmf sst pipe, dual powercore 2 silencer, boyesen power reeds, pre-mix at 32:1 340 main, 4th clip down ,stock pilot. plug chops look great, idles fine, no air leaks, motor is all stock. Bogges out till it is warm, then it runs great. Is that normal for it to bog till it gets warmed up? I don't see anybody running a 340 main with my mods. I live near chicago temp is 30s 40s right know. Does anybody think that my setup is okay, new to 2-strokes, some reassurance would be nice? thanks

how do you know it has no airleaks, because that huge main with your mods, producing good plug chops, tells me you have one !!!!!

i'm taking it the oil injection has been deleted (32:1),
is the injection port on the carb blocked off ????

and you should not be running it, EVER, until it is warmed up,
thats key to long life !!!!!
5 minutes each day will save you 5 weeks down the road

how do you know it has no airleaks, because that huge main with your mods, producing good plug chops, tells me you have one !!!!!

Oil injection is deleted, injection port is blocked off, motorhas never been apart, so I haven't done a leak down test. While running sprayed carb cleaner around area, but no change in rpm's. Whats next?

A propped leak test is in order. A leak test is not a thing to half ass. If you THINK you don't have a leak , your doing it wrong.

slickerthanyou on here sales or will rent you a leaktester
hows the carb cap ??? tight ??? with the rubber gasket in it ???

A #340 main seems excessive, your system calls for a #270 - #280 main, with the needle on the second or third clip.

Having to run that rich to produce a good plug chop, seems to point to an air leak.

What was the result of the leak test , how long did it hold 7psi.

Have you checked the float level?

Are you using a b8es plug?

To someone new to 2 strokes, one can be fooled into thinking its running normal. A 2 stroke will appear to run good to the inexperienced, but can made to run great with jet changes, backed up by plug chops.

A #340 main seems excessive, your system calls for a #270 - #280 main, with the needle on the second or third clip.

Having to run that rich to produce a good plug chop, seems to point to an air leak.

What was the result of the leak test , how long did it hold 7psi. have not done one yet, in process of purchasing one.

Have you checked the float level? no

Are you using a b8es plug? yes

To someone new to 2 strokes, one can be fooled into thinking its running normal. A 2 stroke will appear to run good to the inexperienced, but can made to run great with jet changes, backed up by plug chops.
Thanks for your help:):)

Okay did a leak down test and it held 7 psi for 2 hours, I would say there is no leak. Waiting for silcone to dry on exhaust to do plugchop again. Still don;t know why I have to run a 340 main to get good plug chops. I did change the jet needle back to stock from vitos longer one.

I agree with the previous posts that 340 seems too high. Are you running the stock airbox without the lid? Also, which filter are you using?

hmmm....you're running the same config as me. What's your elevation? My 300 main works great for where I ride at ~2,500 feet.

Elevation is 630 ft. It seems to run great and when I ask the forum what they think, They tell me I have A leak And my head has been worked on. No air leak, Compression is at 150,which my manual (clymber) says for stock motor is between 140-160. Just bought it At the end of summer. Owner said it was bone stock.

Okay did a leak down test and it held 7 psi for 2 hours, I would say there is no leak.

That is air tight!

And if your getting 150 compression that top end is in great shape!

I honestly think if no airleaks, great compression, and it runs good, leave it!

I do think that 340 is massive, but if that is what the motor is asking for, then so be it.

^^^^^ yep....sound like a case of 'it is what it is'. At least you've done eveything you can to ensure you're dialed in and can now go riding with the peace of mind that your motors strong :)