jetting- need starting point

Quadrider10

Dec 18, 2011
New Jersey
www.youtube.com
alright so im getting a few things done for my blasty.....

heres what i have so far

stock carb
fmf gnarly
no lid
powercore 2
uni air filter
boyesen power dual stage reeds

my carb settings now are
310-320 main (i switch between the 2 depending on weather)
stock pilot
1 1/4 turn on air screw
4th needle clip

my new mods will be

new wiseco piston
head rechambered
porting
stock carb
fmf gnarly
no lid
powercore 2
uni air filter
boyesen power dual stage reeds

what should my main jet be around for break in?

Break in jet should be what you intend to run.

If it was running ok with those mods, stay with what you got!

Do not add extral oil, as some people recommend, as it will lean out your mix!

After heat cycles, and re-tensioning, you may need to adjust your idle.

Reactions: Quadrider10
Break in jet should be what you intend to run.

If it was running ok with those mods, stay with what you got!

Do not add extral oil, as some people recommend, as it will lean out your mix!

After heat cycles, and re-tensioning, you may need to adjust your idle.

im breaking i at 32:1 cause thats what i always run

it was running little rich with the 320 in there now.

and if it were running almost perfect, tad rich with no porting, then wont it run really lean with the porting and same carb settings?!?!

EDIT: another greed dot i see? I:I

im breaking i at 32:1 cause thats what i always run

it was running little rich with the 320 in there now.

and if it were running almost perfect, tad rich with no porting, then wont it run really lean with the porting and same carb settings?!?!

EDIT: another greed dot i see? I:I

Ooops, missed the line about the porting.

I am led to believe that porting does not actually increase the amount of air being drawn through the carby.

Porting changes the timing and improves the air/fuel distribution, someone correct me if I am wrong please.

You need to ask your porter, what extra jetting they would recommend.

porting does allow more air throug the carb, because the with the bigger ports, it allows the engine to carry more air through it during 1 cycle. so though the carb is limminting the amout of air and fuel going into the engine, the engine is demanding more air, therefore sucking in more through the carb. jetting compensates for that.... atleast thats what i read and such.

porting does allow more air throug the carb, because the with the bigger ports, it allows the engine to carry more air through it during 1 cycle. so though the carb is limminting the amout of air and fuel going into the engine, the engine is demanding more air, therefore sucking in more through the carb. jetting compensates for that.... atleast thats what i read and such.

look at you go! got your 'READ' on i see. way to go!!!!!!!!I:II:I

But does it, we are talking about the same size piston, displacment is the same.

A BBK makes quite a lot of difference, but with stock bore I feel it is all in timing and air distribution...

Maybee I am completly wrong and need to do some more reading.

Where are you reading the info, someone please give me some links so I can read at my leisure.

But does it, we are talking about the same size piston, displacment is the same.

A BBK makes quite a lot of difference, but with stock bore I feel it is all in timing and air distribution...

Maybee I am completly wrong and need to do some more reading.

Where are you reading the info, someone please give me some links so I can read at my leisure.

i dont rember where i got info. i took it form so many threads and such.

a piston moves up and down in the cylinder. as it comes over the intake ports, it sucks air in as it moves down. as it reaches bottom of stroke, its propelled back up over the intake ports closing them..... piston comes up and compresses the air. yada yada yada.....

if u make the holes smaller, less air is able be sucked into the cylinder because of constriction. so u have to jet down to compesate for the rich condition. u make the ports bigger, more air is able to be sucked into the cylinder before the piston comes up and closes the ports.

same with the exhaust.....and thats the reason why 2 strokes are so more inoficent compared to the much hated 4 strokes is because of the exhaust. as the piston is comming down from the stroke, after cumbustion, it opens the exhaust port letting the gasses out. as it comes back up, it it starts to close that port and open the intake ports. but for a fraction of a second, the exhaust and intake ports are both open. minascuale-ly. so some fresh air and gas is allowed to escape stright out the exhaust, and some of the exhaust from previous cumbustion can be left in the cylinder. opening the exhaust port allows for the cumbusted gasses to escape faster, thats 1 reason y when the exhaust gets ported, u only can raise the exhaust port and not sink it too. because both ports will be opened at 1 time for a longer period of time.

now i have no idea if all this is compety correctt, but from the info that i have taken on this forum, and youtube, and google combined, i present you with this.

Still researching, been reading Gordon Jennings, 2 stroke tuners hand book, but can find no conclusive evidence.

I did find out though, that he recommends a large as possible foam air filter directly on the carby mouth for best performance.

Something I have been advocating for years, and always been smashed for saying so.

Still researching, been reading Gordon Jennings, 2 stroke tuners hand book, but can find no conclusive evidence.

I did find out though, that he recommends a large as possible foam air filter directly on the carby mouth for best performance.

Something I have been advocating for years, and always been smashed for saying so.

hahah welll that makes sense tho..... y would u get bashed???? i would do that, but with so much dirt, mud and water, my engine wouldent last too long

All my motors, for as long as I can remember have had a foam filter fitted directly to the carb mouth.

Guys have knocked with reasons such as, you have a length of pipe there to allow the incoming air to straighten out.

You must have some distance between the carb and the filter, as the filter will get wet with fuel.

You must have a pipe there to act as a ram tube.

Stands to reason that the best way in is through an open door, and not going up a hallway before you get in.

All my motors, for as long as I can remember have had a foam filter fitted directly to the carb mouth.

Guys have knocked with reasons such as, you have a length of pipe there to allow the incoming air to straighten out.

You must have some distance between the carb and the filter, as the filter will get wet with fuel.

You must have a pipe there to act as a ram tube.

Stands to reason that the best way in is through an open door, and not going up a hallway before you get in.

makes perfect sense!