jetting help

Darrell

Feb 23, 2008
Ok. my 01 blaster wont idle without holding the gas about 1/4 open until its been running for awhile then it will idle? And when you go to take off it boggs way down and will stall out, i have to literally hold it wide open to let off the clutch and take off! So I tried going down to a 30 pilot jet and a 240 main jet, the 30 pilot seemed to help when running it with the 230 main until i shut the bike off, then i started it back up and it was right back to the same thing? Keep trying jets or look for a diffrent problem? It has a new top end and boeysen reeds and i rebuilt the carb! but it did this exact same thing before the rebuild and the everything eles? Does anyone have a clue?

Could this be the stator maybe?

First thing i would think of would be bottom end seals... I lost a motor that way. it ran crappy would like bog and would not idle after a top end rebuild and so i took it out and beet it a lil bit and there she went...... come to find out some seals in my bottom end were bad and caused both failures.. not saying this is necesarily your problem but it is an experience of mine. give ya somethin to think about any way.

it has been a long time,... but it did seem like it ran better at wide open cuz when i started it was runnin real bad so i just took off beating it. got quite a ways from home headed to my buddies house, i was cruisin down the road thinkin it mabey was kinda clearin itself out or somethin and it locked up. smoked a hoe in teh piston and ring stuck in cylinder. i didnt really do much putting around the yard or nuthin i thot mabey the carb had sat for a bit to long so i just went riding.

But earlier when i finally got it to idle it would go to bog down and i would try to give it gas and it would die, but it wouldnt start again unless i pulled the carb off and sprayed carb cleaner in it, or if i switched the main jets around! maybe my carb is just junk or somthing? Any idea's??

if its bottom seals you should have excessive smoke if not. do the norm, check spark(unplug tors), check compression, and fuel. if its new top end did u make sure you torqued and re torqued after break in? jetting shouldn't make it that bad it will just foul plugs. is your choke stuck? check that stuff.

how does it stick? the needle inside? But no i havent retorqued anything because i cant do the brake-in until i get this problem fixed, but i know its nothing i did wrong because it was doing the exact same thing before i did anything to the bike! And when i change a jet or clean the carb and put it back on and turn the gas on, the float sticks cause it pours out of the overflow, but if i turn the gas off and back on it stops?

but i have spark cause it will run and idle once its hot! it just wants to die and barley moves when you go to take off or when you start it cold, and it smokes a little when i start it and then once its warm it doesnt smoke much at all!

any more idea's or suggestions?

And how do you get to the e-clip on the needle vavle to adjust clip position?

Last edited: