Jetting after full rebuild

Turbo

Jun 8, 2013
England
Hi folks,
I have just had a full engine rebuild, top end is a vito's 240 kit, the piston is now a 73mm, 0.50 oversize I think, I am running a Paul turner exhaust, pyramid reeds, port work, oil feed blocked off, tors removed. The reason for the rebuild was it was running all these mods on std jetting, and I cooked it.

Jetting specs are now
Std carb
Pilot 32.5
Needle clip 4th
Main 300

Are these jetting specs close for the mods above
???????

Firstly, leak test the motor.

I would be doing a plug chop then with a #320 and needle on the middle clip.

Heat cycles are a must, followed by a re tension of the head and jug bolts.

Ride 2 tanks of gas at no more than 3/4 throttle, that will keep you off the main jet until you are ready to plug chop.

Thanks again blaster, I will get the leak test done and jett as you say, I have had it idling at the present specs, and all good just didn't dare run it just in case, I ordered main jets up to 350, when you say heat cycles to run it in, I was told not to do that as I wouldn't get a good ring seal against the bore, I was told to run as normal but shift up as it comes on the pipe for the first 30mins ????????

To heat cycle, make sure the motor is leak free and the float level is correct, 1 1/2 turns out on the air screw.

Blip the throttle until it gets to operating temperature, let cool for at least 30 mins.

Do 3 to 5 heat cycles, and then re torque.

This will condition the head gasket and start the initial bedding of the rings.

If you then ride the 2 tanks at no more than 3/4 throttle the pressure that forces the rings out against the bore will not be so great as to tear off too much of the cross hatching, and the rings will have chance to bed uniformly.

After the 2 tanks you will be able to open it up so as to get on the main jet to perform a plug chop.

There are many methods of breaking in a motor, but I find this way works with great results.

Ok thanks for the great info, after the break in is over I will get some vids posted, I ordered a 34mm carb and new manifold boot, I have had these for weeks now, but am unsure if to go down that route or not, I am led to believe that with a well jetted stock carb it will have more low down power, which if a little too much can be smoothed out with a 14 tooth front sprocket (which I have) this seems easier than try to jett another carb again :(

As to the 14 tooth, do not try to mix and match sprockets and chains.

They should be treated as a matched set, change one thing, change it all, both sprockets and chain.