Jeting help by kennedy

this what your looking for?

jet-chart.jpg

Reactions: Smaugrens
Nice write up man. It will help me for sure. I was wondering how to get it right.

Does anyone have the pic of the chart that provides you with what changes will affect the engines mixture vs. throttle position and its effectiveness that was in the beginnig of the post. If so can you please upload it?

Thanks

Nevermind, I just saw the pic is on his flicker page.

Thanks again Kennedy

Kennedy, you seem to be the man to ask my questions. I am new to the forum. please bear with me.
i have reuilt a 1998 blaster, it has;
open airbox lid, new filter
stock carb
dg head pipe
dg silencer
boyseen reeds
oil bypass
twist throttle
parking brake bypass
15/40 grear/sprocket
520 non o righ chain

i have read that the stock main jet is 220. the one i pulled out was 210. i have read that with these mods i should be around a 300.

However, the bike runs fine until i get to 3rd 4th and 5th gear, then it bogs really bad.

also i am on the coast of new jersey. so we are not that high over sea level.
in addition, its winter and temps are averaging in mid 30's low 40's

any help you can provide will certainly be appreciated, (or anybody elses)

Kennedy, you seem to be the man to ask my questions. I am new to the forum. please bear with me.
i have reuilt a 1998 blaster, it has;
open airbox lid, new filter
stock carb
dg head pipe
dg silencer
boyseen reeds
oil bypass
twist throttle
parking brake bypass
15/40 grear/sprocket
520 non o righ chain

i have read that the stock main jet is 220. the one i pulled out was 210. i have read that with these mods i should be around a 300.

However, the bike runs fine until i get to 3rd 4th and 5th gear, then it bogs really bad.

also i am on the coast of new jersey. so we are not that high over sea level.
in addition, its winter and temps are averaging in mid 30's low 40's

any help you can provide will certainly be appreciated, (or anybody elses)

Holy old thread! Lol.

Kennedy Power doesn't come around any more, but I'll help. The stock main jet is on most Blasters is usually a 230. Some early models came with a 220 from the factory. Either way, you definately need to change your jetting before you fry a top end. A 300 main will be rather rich for the mods you have, even in winter. I would start with a 260 main and see how it runs from there.

The DG pipe is close to stock, so most of the jetting you will need to do is for the open airbox and cold weather. Run the quad a little while, see how it performs, and do a plug chop. A 260 is 'safe'. It may be a little rich; you'll find out from reading the plug.

Oh, and go up to a 35 pilot jet. It will idle better. Stock pilot is 32.5, so up one size is all you'll need. I'm close to sea level, too, being here in eastern North Carolina, so these settings should be valid for your elevation.

Hope that helped.

Yup, it sure will bog. Way too rich with a 300. Don't blame the coil; set the carb right first. Ignition problems are usually all-or-nothing. It either runs, or it doesn't.

Jeting help by kennedy ??????

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

Well, brandoz was correct.
I got a some main jets today from Seaville Motorsports..thanks Harry if you read this.

I started by dropping from the 300 down to 270, gave it a run, and it was bogging again.

after a cool down, pulled the plug, darker then i would like, so we threw in a BR8ES, and pulled the 270 and put in a 250.

this seems to have solved the problem and its running really well thru all the gears.

thanks to all who gave advise.
I appologize for coat-tailing on an old thread,
now if i could just figure out how to post a pic with my user name in the left margin. But that is probably in a different thread. ha!

i have a 2003 yamaha blaster and i've leaned it out twice my mods consist of a full toomey b1 exhaust 14/39 gearing bored .040 the bottom end is bone stock i also have v force 3 reeds and run a wiseco prolite piston the carb is still stock 26mm and has a 310 jet and a 32.5 and set at stock clip posistion does anyone have any suggestions on what size jets to run in it so this problem dosent happen again the air box has been removed also any help would be gratley appreciated.