is my timing off somehow??

mitchb

Jun 8, 2016
Hello everyone I am new to the form but have been using it for reference and information for a while now.

I inherited a 88 blaster in really nice shape that came with a freshly rebuilt Big Bore engine I just had to put the engine in.

So anyways I put the engine in and got no spark messed around with it for a while ended up rebuilding the stator with a moose racing Stater kit and then got Spark but it was weak. So then I replaced the coil and CDI box and the situation was the same. Then I noticed when I went back into the stator that the pick-up coil or trigger whatever it is had a small amount of adjustment to it so I pushed it out towards the flywheel as far as I could and then the spark got better but still no starting.

It will crank and crank and crank with only a little puff out the exhaust every now and then if I put some gas right down the cylinder.

And about every four or five cranks the kickstarter will kick back really hard almost breaking my foot it hurts so damn bad.

By the way I eliminated the tors system and unplug the brain box for it.

I just can't figure it out thanks for your help

If you had flywheel off, how was the key?
Have you checked that connections are clean and tight? Remove coil and clean the mounting for ground. Check where stator grounds to plate and plate to engine.z

But thanks for your help guys I'm pretty sure I figured it out last night after replacing all the ignition parts and Spark was still weak I looked at the flywheel and noticed the magnets are extremely weak for how big they are they should be stronger took the magnets out of the flywheel and found they were all cracked and half creating Polar Opposites so basically it was fighting itself to make an AC feild

Reactions: Awk08
I forgot to mention that the reason for taking a look at the flywheel was when I started testing AC voltage out of stator was was only getting 1 volt out of the lighting coil and trigger coil. And if was getting 10-12 AC volts out of the ignition coil. And to do this test I was using an impact on the flywheel turning it at roughly 200rpm.

The other test I performed was a 12v test light on the orange wire from the cdi box and I couldn't it to light up while cranking.