Is jug repairable?

blaster_rider11

May 29, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
So I was looking at the jug today to take it get checked out and fixed for a new piston and i came across a crack at the base where the jug gets bolted down. The crack goes thru the aluminum to the port. The cylinder itself is not cracked( just needing hone). Please tell me this can be fixed bc this is a Vito's full set that i dont want to trash. Thanks again.

DSC03235.jpg

DSC03238.jpg

DSC03240.jpg

that may be able to get welded, or epoxied ?????
you'll need a professional opinion, and prolly his help too

Uh-oh! Do I see a cracked intake bridge in the middle pic? If so, that's gonna be a tough fix and you definately don't want it to break with the engine running. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge than I on this subject will chime in. Personally, I'd say you're better off getting another jug and not messing with this one, but u never know. In my opinion, once a part which is under as much stress as a cylinder jug starts to crack, you don't want to attempt to fix it no matter how bad you wish you could.

Sicivic...What do you think?

Nah, I think what you're seeing on the intake bridge is the normal vito's bubble casting flaw.

If it was mine, I'd give it a go.... does that mean it will ever be right again? Who knows.

The biggest fear with welding on a cylinder sleeve is turning the steel sleeve soft through heat cycling and causing a soft spot. The only way to find out is to try and I'd try before I threw it in the garbage...

Seems like playing with fire to me.

I am concerned about what caused it, the only time i have seen a jug break like that was because it was installed incorrectly. The bloke knew nothing about diagonally nipping and tensioning. He tensioned one then the other and when he tightened the last one it broke.

The only way to find out is to try and I'd try before I threw it in the garbage...

you'd try to weld the crack of dawn if you could, hahahaaaaaa
(thats not bustin on you)

I am concerned about what caused it, the only time i have seen a jug break like that was because it was installed incorrectly. The bloke knew nothing about diagonally nipping and tensioning. He tensioned one then the other and when he tightened the last one it broke.

It can easily be caused my a "hydrolock" event. Either water or fuel. Even a super hard kick after the carburetor float stuck can cause it.

@awk: heck yeah.... if I thought I could hook dawn to sunset.

Well, think about it. He has two choices... try to weld it and have a 50/50 chance of being able to use it or throw it in the recycle bin and have to buy a new jug. I'm liking the 50/50 odds versus the 0%.

Like I said, if it were mine I'd give it a go!

How much would the welding and machining cost in relation to a new jug. A 50/50 to me seems to much of a gamble. Sell it to someone that is prepared to take the chance and go for a new one.

Man you guys are awesome. I think one thing that saves me is that the sleeve portion does not have a crack and the crack doesnt come near it. Hopefully, whoever i rake it to around town here can fix it.

How much would the welding and machining cost in relation to a new jug. A 50/50 to me seems to much of a gamble. Sell it to someone that is prepared to take the chance and go for a new one.

I wasn't being genuine about an actual 50% chance it will work. I was saying that you're taking a chance that it won't work.

For instance, I welded the piss out of my dragger cylinder (I welded round rod beside my intake window) and didn't think twice about how it may have affected my sleeve. Of course, the decreased engine life is a the least of my concern.... it's a dragger!

Its very highly unlikely you will be able to repair that,my advice unless you have the right equpiment and can do the job yourself,scrap the cylinder and buy a new one save yourself a lot of headaches

agreed. yeah it can be repaired, however its gonna cost you way more to fix it than it would be to get a new one off ebay or another member.

btw you can always fix jugsI:I

Its very highly unlikely you will be able to repair that,my advice unless you have the right equpiment and can do the job yourself,scrap the cylinder and buy a new one save yourself a lot of headaches

Oh come on Colby, don't be the sayer of Nay....

I can say that I do have the equipment so I would try it.... I'm not sure it would be worth it to pay someone ELSE to fix it....

Oh come on Colby, don't be the sayer of Nay....

I can say that I do have the equipment so I would try it.... I'm not sure it would be worth it to pay someone ELSE to fix it....

That's what I was getting at lol
Everyone don't have them sicivic stacks man!!

prett rough shape idk sounds like your better off getting a new cyl. That one looks ported tho or it just me the intake bridge isnt stock and boysean ports?