is it true!!!! blasters blow

blaster321

Sep 24, 2011
Is it true that blasters blow the top end quite often??? Becuz of it beenin air cooled??? Is there anyway u can liquid cool it?? Helppp

Any 2 stroke is prone to a blown top end if not tuned and lubricated just right. Bucket of water thrown over the engine cools it real well :) . No Blasters cannot be water cooled.

Any quad that isnt tuned/lubricated properly will blow top ends..

There is a water cooled head that one company makes.... Not sure on the name.

no!! a blaster is just as good as any other 2 stroke if it blows it's the owner who did something wrong bad maintenence or bad tuning blasters are great!!!!!

Cylinder and piston life all depends on owner maintenance and proper tuning/jetting. Any mod to airflow in or out of the motor requires a rejet to allow for the more fuel and oil needed to flow. A blaster that is properly tuned can go 5-6 years on one top-end. But you MUST have it jetted spot on for a long life. Any neglect on jetting will cause your piston to blow any where from a few hours to a few months.

damnit. this thread again??? any quad is unreliable if you dont maintain it. reliability is only as good as the guy maintaining the bike. if you never maintain it and just expect to go ride everyday then any quad will break. blasters are just cheaper to rebuild.

Everybody keeps sayin maintain it what are you talking about?? And how do u kno u have it tuned just right ?

Everybody keeps sayin maintain it what are you talking about?? And how do u kno u have it tuned just right ?

You have to read and learn. Follow threads in this section. You will see what someone was running like just befor it melted down or broke.. Know the difference between a lean bog (flat/no power) and rich bog (sputter/plug foul/no power). It's better to run slightly rich than lean, plugs are cheaper than pistons. Maintenance is covered well in the clymers manual. As is jetting. Maintaining is keeping filter clean, changing trans oil, lubing cables. Checking for loose intake system, loose bolts. Be able to decide that the carrier bearings are shot and if I don't fix them when the chain jumps it will take out my engine.

In this age of entitlement not everything is still not going to be handed to you, you have to do a LITTLE work yourself. I:I

the manual has a periodic maintenance schedule, and tolerances for things just make sure its all good, and the jetting is on

i got my blaster from a guy who had the top end rebuilt. and he had it bored .40 over, could it be that the piston ceased so they shaved part of the cylinder off? also would you have to rejet for a overbore?

No re-jet for boring. Read up on doing a "plug chop" good way to tell if your jetting is on. And stop worrying about it, lots of people ride these for years and never have a problem. And if you do, entire top end rebuild kits are $200on on ebay and anyone with a manual should be able to do it themselves.

Its bored 40 over because it needed a rebuild. Could have been seized, scored, etc. Don't worry, this is normal. The blaster doesn't have a plated cylinder so bores are cheap. I will probably preventably do a top end in the spring...by an oversized piston and send it to my local Napa autoparts store for the new bore. Easy, cheap!