Is it normal for reeds not to sit flat on cage?

BrandonH

Jul 23, 2014
Plant City, Florida
I performed a leakdown test on my blaster yesterday and found I had a small crack in my intake boot, when I pulled it off I also noticed the reeds are not sitting completely flat on the reed cage. Unlike my dirt bikes these blaster seems to have an outer reed and smaller paddles on top of that.

The ends of the smaller reeds are bent up about 1mm off the bottom reed.

Is that normal or will it need replace. I have not ran the bike yet so I have no history on the motor but replacing as I can paycheck to paycheck so if it's not needed yet I could wait

Last edited:
sounds like aftermarket dual stage reeds, vito's or boysen.
the reeds should sit flat, or the bike may not even start.
i'm betting the stock curved metal reeds stops are missing ?
and the little tab supplied by aftermarket reed companies is present ?
those are designed to fail to sale you new reeds every few months, as they do not keep the reeds from opening too far, and allow warpage/breakage.
time for new reeds and get some stock reed stops on there too so the last longer.

Reactions: BrandonH
The factory reed stop is on it, and after looking up reeds it looks like the Boyesen power reeds. So they are suppose to sit flush then with no gap then

What reeds do you recommend, not looking for to race this bike just trail rides.

nothing wrong with oem parts,there is a thread on here about reeds,they were dyno'ed and the oem reeds were actually better then the dualstage,if anyone chooses to believe it.Hands down the v-force red system is the winner.No gaps..The cylinder and piston is a pump,and the reeds are it's valve

maybe try just flipping those petals over so they sit flat again,
if that doesn't work, get replacement boysens or vito's again

image.jpg

Most of all do not over tighten them it can cause the stopper to deform and raise the tips of the reeds.

Last edited: