is it difficult to put new brake pads and axle bearings on blaster

YamahaBlaster03

Sep 3, 2008
Englewood,Ohio
ive got an 03 blaster and i need to put new brake pads on and i was wondering if it is hard to put them on, i also need to know if its difficult to put on rear axle bearings

I can't really tell you about break pads, as I have yet to do those, but I'm currently in the middle of replacing my rear axle bearings on my '00. Honestly it was easy as pie taking everything apart (I got lucky), however I did run into a few discrepancies in my personal experience. FirstI couldn't get the axle out of the carrier so I had to take the carrier w/axle off the swingarm and set it up with a couple cinder blocks under the carrier and beat it out with a hammer and a block of wood. Took a while but it came out. Second the old carrier was so used and abused I had to replace it with another one, which led me to beating the old bearings from the 'new' carrier out with the old(er) bearing spacer which happened to fit just perfectly and a 20lb sledge. I DO NOT recommend this because you can seriously damage your parts but once again I got lucky, and it was a risk I was willing to take. That's as far as I got because I've been working 12 hr days since Tuesday and haven't had the time to really play with it. If you search thru my recent posts, there's a couple pix posted of my minor agony before I got the thing fully apart, also here's a link with pix which gave me a heads up on what I was in for. Rear Axle bearing replacement
Hope this helps! :)

i did the same thing basically, the hardest part was getting those nuts off that hold the axle in place, if you just take your carrier with the axle off, it will be alot easier. if you need help PM me and i will be more than happy to help you

I found the easiest way to get the axle nuts off was to take the entire back plastic off including the air box so you have room to actually sit on the tire giving you more leverage. What I did was take a teeny bit of WD40 and spray in between the 2 of them and give it one good umph TIGHTENING it and then one good umph the other way just to crack the nut, spray a little more WD in there and do the same thing over and over until you get a good bite and they eventually spin right off. BTW the axle nut is a 1 7/8" crescent or box wrench, or u can use a pipe wrench, but youll end up with those little teeth marks in the surface, and theyre ugly. Dont worry about the WD, youll clean all that off at the end with brake cleaner before you repack the carrier.

In ym blaster which doesnt have rear hydraulic disc brakes i had to chenge the pads and it was easy, i recomend buying everything in the system so you replace everything and dont ahve to go back there again

Yes you can do both of the procedures you ask about. Yes the axle bearings can be difficult. But if you use the right methods and tools it can make it a bit more tolerable. Or you can get lucky and its really easy, it all depends on the condition of your carrier and axle.

Best method to get your axle out to take out your bearings:
1. Use the right tools (makes it easier ) this means no pipe wrench.
2. Leave the carrier attached to the swing arm. (obviously you have to have the quad suspended on a jack (atv) or something and secured.
3. Take off your wheels/tires, hub (leave the left one on), break hardware, anything back there that s in the way.
4. Using the right wrench for the axles. Loosten the axle nuts. If you cant, soak and I mean soak the nuts in WD40 over night.
5. With the left hub on use a pipe or large socket over the axle and but it up against the hub.
5 Hammer on this pipe to get the axle out the right side.

As for the bearings you have to get a long steel rod called a drift. or compromise and use a ratchet extension and tap around the bearing until it comes out. this can be quite a bit more than a tap really.

brake pads are easy just make sure u release the parking brake and push in the piston with 2 pairs of pliers and the old pads.

get the LSR parking brake blockoff plate if u hav an extra 10 bucks it looks badass