Improving 2002 Blaster

N

NeRo9k

This is my first post here.. I have a 2002 blaster, completely stock, and I wondering what I can do to improve the speed, look, and overall performance of the machine, without breaking the bank of course. I'm not to tech savy; I'm going to be doing most of the work myself or with the help of my dad.

I do mostly woods/yard/ditch riding, and I'd like to start taking it to some tracks. I've heard reeds, a-arms, and tires, possibly new suspension, and a pipe - although I'm not really sure. What is your guys input, thanks for all the help!

Well a-arms are more of a suspension thing, but for speed get a pipe. The first thing you should get before anything is a pipe. Now just don't buy a cheap pipe, pipes can be expensive but are all worth it in the end, so save up for a good one. You should get reeds too, and change your gearing. You can set up your gearing for top speed, or bottom end. For suspension i would recommend getting different shocks. As everyone knows the blaster suspension is horrible. If your looking for better, cheap shocks go with Banshee shocks. They are a direct fit, and just bolt up. You can spend a little more money and get the YFZ450 shocks witch are amazing, but you will need a diamond j widening kit. As for a-arms, a-arms are a bit pricey, but you can just go with wheel spacers, if i was you i would get rid of those balloon tires in the back and go with some maxxis razrs or kenda klaws, hope this help you out.

I just wrote a huge post and it all got deleted : ( Thanks for your help.

I've heard FMF, Toomey B1, and the VITO'S FAT BASTARD are good - Any better than the others? Are there any guides that you know of for changing the gearing for top end speed?

Also, I know the suspension is crap, you recommend the banshee over after market ones? I'll look into the tires tonight.

Are there any other easy mods or anything else I can get for more Horsepower or over all performance.

Gold series fatty all the way yo!

but yeah get a nice pipe, people will aruge about whats the best pipe, you pick out of the couple people suggest. i say gold series fatty and a power core2.

and get some vforce3 reeds. i just put em on and they make a difference! ive also heard wiseco pistons make it more peppy and gives it some more low end power. thats what im running. OH and if your running oil injection(which you probably are, you said its stock) defently get a block off kit or just block it off and do pre-mix. the plastic gear is likely to fail and break apart in your crankcase and mess up crap in there and seize your engine because of lack of lubrication. and remove tors to, its garbage.

no offense to 89custom, but FMF is more of a lower grade pipe, and you can get them fairly cheap. Thats what i was talking about with the pipes,save up and get a better one. Im running a toomey, which i personally LOVE, but i recommend Toomey, F7, and Trinity.

Thanks for the replies so far. What is Jetting and is it necessary?

jetting's only necessary if you increase your air or fuel intake into the motor. If you add an aftermarket pipe, remove air box lid or add bigger carb you'll have to rejet your carb

Going to order soon if finances allow-
V-Force Reeds
Kenda Klaw Rear Tires 20x11x8
Toomey B1 Exhaust System

Next to get/do-
wheel spacers
Shocks
Nerf Bars
block off kit
Remove Tors
14/40 Gearing

I think you should look into the power pros, Ct racing, F7, or Trinity pipe. They are all the same but from what I've been told they are the best hands down and I've heard it from some of the best builders in the business. Also if you want the best bang for the buck get a good port job. I recommend Flowtech and Denny was a really big help to me and is super friendly to talk to. A port job will get the most HP then and add on part will do for you and all for around $150. But like everyone else had said the first thing you should get is a pipe. Also it doesn't matter how much power you have if you don't setup the gearing properly for your style of riding your not going to go any faster your just going to get to that speed faster if that makes any sense to ya.

take that money for the pipe and go put a down payment on a yzf 450 ,Honda 450r, the Suzuki 450 and kawasaki 450 r fuel injected.... i bet they will hual ass. unless ur just like us and u like ur blaster and want 2 put money in to it and blaster's do love money

my opinion :

first upgrade should be a nice pipe and silencer. the FMF series pipes are nothing more than a stock pipe that has been chromed. they offer very little performance gains. BUT, they are cheap and do offer a little bit of power gain. Toomy and Trinity are by far the best pipes out there for power.

with a pipe, get a better air filter that can keep up with the added air flow along with a key kit that will give you the more fuel you need.

afterward look into reeds. they dont give you more power but they definately make your throttle response more crisp. its a noticable diffrence with response time.

then move on to rear tires. any flat profile tire is good. what limits you is the 8 inch rear wheel that comes stock on a blaster. ITP, KENDA, and MAXXIS all make tires that will fit your rims. if you have the extra $$$ to spend on new rear wheels as well, go with a 9 inch wheel and your choice of tire has almost tripled since all the newer quads run the 9 inch wheels from the factory. every brand caters to the newer model years to adapt to their stock parts.

once you get that flatter profile rear tire its going to drop your overall gear ratio to a lower one. thus taking away from your top speed but adding more acceleration. to counter this, add a new front sprocket to the mix that is 14 teeth and you are all set.

then comes the big money upgrades.........

suspension. easily $2000 if you do it right. new front shocks and new a-arms with a longer travel will make you think you are on a totally new bike. these alone will make your blaster faster than most engine mods when on the trails. simple theory actually. what good is the added power if your ATV isnt capable of smoothing out the bumps well enough to handle it?

internal motor mods.........
STAY AWAY FROM VITO'S!!!!!!!

ctracing has a 240 big bore kit that will make your jaw drop. $1500 gets you almost an entire new motor with matching exhaust system and carb. best bang for the buck hands down. they even give you the new reeds, bearings, and gaskets to make it all bolt on easily. the CT kit if added to your quad as it sits would be more cost effective than peicing the parts together from scratch.

its a big bore ported and polished head, new piston, pipe and silencer, carb, gaskets, throttle cable, reeds. they claim 42HP with the kit. in reality you will bump up to about 35HP on a stock bottom end. still almost doubling your HP.

Thanks for all the info guys, I much appreciate it. I know getting a new Valve and reeds would be better, but, will just getting some new Boyesen Reeds be sufficient?

if you just replace the reeds in your stock reed cage dont expect too much. Vforce3 Reeds arent that expensive and cone with a new reed cage as well.

IMO reed spacers are junk as well as boost bottles. dont waste your money on either. only reason to buy a spacer is if you get a bigger carb that requires the extra clearance.

for a cheap performance increase, remove the baffle from the exhaust (free), remove the airbox lid (free) and, as i have recently learned, bump your jet sizing up. a jet kit is cheap, about $20 for an assortment of jets. i have yet to rejet my womans blaster, but removing the airbox lid and the exhaust baffles provided a very noticable increase in performance. there is a timing advance posted by jwalk1818 here that will give a noticable increase in performance and is also free. a word of warning though. you'll need a flywheel puller to do the timing advance. you can also switch the front tires (left to right and vica versa) if your valve stem doesn't interfere with your tie rod end (you'll know if it does when you spin the tire after you mount it) to add more stability to the front end. (also free). so, for a total of $20, you'll have a quad that is noticably faster than it was, will handle better than it did, and get you wanting to throw real money into your blaster.

i'd do the air scoop mod listed posted by d.jackson_12 here. some people say it's just for looks, but your 2-stroke engine relies on air to keep it cool. directing more air onto the motor will definately help there. another $20 mod. i am planning this very mod with minor changes for my wife's blaster (i ride a 660r myself).

then i'd spend start saving for a good exhaust as was already hammered into your head. follow that up with a new intake, air filter and reed cage/reeds, remove the oil injection (reliability upgrade, not performance, though alot of aftermarket carbs don't have facilities for oil injection), and get a good set of tires. do the yfz450 rear shock and the banshee front shocks to start since you said money is an issue and you aren't a hardcore, every weekend racer. wheel spacers can be a tricky subject. i have heard horror stories about wheel spacers breaking, but alot of folks on here seem to be utilizing them and i haven't read any horror stories firsthand about them breaking.

something else you might want to look into, which is commonly overlooked, are ergonomics. if you're over 5'6, the blaster probably feels small to you. every time i take my wife's blaster for a test ride i can't imagine how i rode that thing as my own quad for over a year. adjustable bar risers and new bars might help the cockpit open up a bit. that was actually one of the stage1 upgrades on ATVscene.com's project blaster.

once you've saved the money and done the mods listed here, you'lll probably have a pretty good idea of what you want to do next from reading and talking with people.