I'm going back to the yamaha "auto lube" oil injection! Why? Because it works!!!

now my memories of oil injection use are coming back to me............ the foam thingy inside the tank apparently is there to catch any particles that may fall in ??
i remember using clean needle nose pliers to pull that foam out and clean it off every time i added oil, that also allowed me to pour the oil in faster.
are people removing that foam "catch" and leaving it out ??

the foam sh*t inside the tanks on both my 03 and old 06 blaster seemed to be disintegrating. never ran the injection on them, but i'm sure that would have caused a clog somewhere. so yes, i'd take out the foam and just try to be as sanitary as possible when pouring the oil in.

the foam sh*t inside the tanks on both my 03 and old 06 blaster seemed to be disintegrating. never ran the injection on them, but i'm sure that would have caused a clog somewhere. so yes, i'd take out the foam and just try to be as sanitary as possible when pouring the oil in.

Ive never seen this. Not saying it can't happen,but what do you mean

"seemed to be disintegrating" ?

Were there actual pieces falling off the foam? Not trying to be redundant. Just asking. I've never seen that happen...ever.

Was brake clean used on the tank with the foam still inside. That brake clean is a form of paint remover,and very nasty stuff. If so,maybe that caused it.

I'll test that too.

I wouldn't leave the foam out. Thats stupid. Its there to catch debris and also acts as a baffle for sloshing oil.

must have been whatever oil was being used in them ???
the same piece of foam was in my '96 for 8+ years

I think it was an assumption. For my buddy...21 + years here on a 91 blaster everything original including the foam. For me...everything original and stock on the oil injection systems on our 2004,2002, and both 2003's. Even those pieces of foam.

I have an idea about an upgrade for the foam.

Ive never seen this. Not saying it can't happen,but what do you mean

"seemed to be disintegrating" ?

Were there actual pieces falling off the foam? Not trying to be redundant. Just asking. I've never seen that happen...ever.

Was brake clean used on the tank with the foam still inside. That brake clean is a form of paint remover,and very nasty stuff. If so,maybe that caused it.

I'll test that too.

I wouldn't leave the foam out. Thats stupid. Its there to catch debris and also acts as a baffle for sloshing oil.

to be honest, i never used them, but from memory when i bought them it was almost like they dry rotted or something. you could touch it and it would be all over your hand. it was actual pieces of foam not dirt or debris inside the foam.

i never used anything to clean them so i don't know. i took them off to run pre-mix as soon as i had the engines running. also, i bought both blown up so maybe being stored or out in the weather had something to do with it? lack of oil soaking the foam? who knows...

not forcing this on anyone, but it was my experience.

Could have been that too. i know when i bought the 03 they were running regular motor oil for the injector pump. as baffled as i was i only took it off and started pre-mixing. dunno what was used in the 06 either.

Using the injection system, is the fuel/oil ratio constant or varying? Like at 2500 rpm is the fuel/oil ratio xx:1 but at 7500 rpm it's yy:1 ?

I think most people say or agree that its 20 to 1. Seeing that its powered strait off the crankshaft gear,I would be led to believe that its linear,or in other words,20 to 1 across the board.

At idle it injects slower because its spun slower,but at 8000rpm it injects much more,but still at a 20 to 1 ratio.

it's a rising-rate injector, so faster engine speed = faster pump and more oil flow, so it has less oil at idle and low engine speeds, then maximum output at high rpms (so more oil).

on my oil pump on the RZ engine it goes a step further, it has a 2nd throttle cable going to it that also adjusts the pump stroke, so when you give it more gas it gives you more oil also. so it's 2-way controllable by throttle position and engine speed

it's a rising-rate injector, so faster engine speed = faster pump and more oil flow, so it has less oil at idle and low engine speeds, then maximum output at high rpms (so more oil).

on my oil pump on the RZ engine it goes a step further, it has a 2nd throttle cable going to it that also adjusts the pump stroke, so when you give it more gas it gives you more oil also. so it's 2-way controllable by throttle position and engine speed

Thats a great description! I call it linear... meaning its 20 to 1 all the time regarless of engine speed,but I like your description better.

I know the system works great!

Thats a great description! I call it linear... meaning its 20 to 1 all the time regarless of engine speed,but I like your description better.

I know the system works great!

Actually it would be constant with crank speed, so at 6000rpm you get the same amount of oil regardless of throttle position.
Full throttle you are probably at 50:1, closed throttle probably 1:1.

This would hold true for any particular rpm. My guess the 20:1 quoted is an average for part throttle use.

I've used oil injection on snowmobiles and jetski for years.
Never had or seen a verifiable problem. Often seen engines that were claimed to be oil problems but were actually jetting.

Steve

I have personally never seen an oil injection system failure either, thats why I am using it on my RZ engine too.

I know the Blaster pump raises output with engine speed, so it's less oil at idle and increasng output along with engine rpms.

The RZ pump is rpm dependant but also throttle position dependant, so as you give it more throttle the output increases even more with engine speeds

I wish there was a way to know exactly (just for curiosity's sake). I know we've had ZERO issues for YEARS on all of the blaster that we run. We removed the oil injection from my buddy's 03 blaster at the same time I removed mine to experiment with pre-mixed fuels and oil to fuel ratios. Guess who want to put his oil injection back on too? Thats right, he didn't see any advantages to pre-mixing either. Long live OIL INJECTION!!!:D

The only advantaves for premix that I can offer is that I am able to change the oil ratio to fine tune my jetting, and be able to run bean oil.

I don't know what threads you are reading there Joe but they must be old ones. I have noticed over the 3yrs i've been around the advice here is way beyond the advice I was getting to start with. We all grow with expirence and there seems to be a lot more of that around here in the last year or so. Incuding you Joe. Not everyone that gives advice knows what they are saying and sometimes stories get stretched over time if you know what i mean. I remember when i first joined this site some answers you got weren't correct but you could figure out who was just spouting off what they heard(me included) and not what they have expirenced.

Every guy I know here that doesn't run oil injection does it mainly bc there is just less to go wrong and the ability to adjust your mixture the way you want to. Hell if mine had one I would have removed it just because it's god aweful ugly.

Yeah I hear you on the cosmetic part... They don't look the greatest. Too bad the tank wasn't tucked in under the seat. That would be sweet.

Just think if there was pre-mix at the pump oil injection would never need to exist.
Thats pretty much the only reason it's there period- and for kids lol

Along time ago when I was living in England, you could get premix at the pump, you could dial in the ratio.

I don't remember why it was discontinued, maybe when 2 stroke oils became many, sophisticated and more advanced.

Along time ago when I was living in England, you could get premix at the pump, you could dial in the ratio.

I don't remember why it was discontinued, maybe when 2 stroke oils became many, sophisticated and more advanced.

When I was growing up in Europe in the 1970s there were still 2 stroke cars and motorcycles on the road.
The Saab, Trabant and DKW come to mind for cars. I believe the Saab and DKW stopped production in the very late 60s. There were a huge amount of 2 stroke motorcycles on the road. We were limited to 50cc until we were 18 so if you wanted any speed at all, you had to get a 2 stroke. Many of those 50cc bikes were easily able to maintain 100 kph (60mph) with a bit of tuning, and 70mph was not unheard of. Auto-lube was just starting to come into fashion that I recall, and most garages would measure for you. 32:1 on the new (at the time) 2 stroke petro oils was close to standard. Up until that time you used bean oil or regular 30w as your mix, depending on how serious the motor was.

Dial a ratio? At the pump? Are you kidding me?
Sounds like the best system ever!
Seriously I've never heard of that- thanks I:I