Ignition Switch

93blaster

Jul 13, 2008
My on/off switch is not working. I pulled the wire off & test it for continuity using a multimeter. When the its on the OFF position there is continuity & in the ON position there was 0. Is this normal or it should be vise versa? Please if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

that sounds backwards to me.

if it were me and i knew there was a problem, i'd replace the switch entirely.

It is working as it is supposed to, how it turns the motor off, is by making a complete circuit from the coil to the chassis, therefore grounding out the spark, so the motor has no more. Make sense? When trying to start it, you dont want the connection to the chassis (ground) because then it will never spark!

I started it one time it went over rev on me. It rev so high that even when I turn the ignition key off it didn't shut it down. Kill switch didn't help either. I put it in gear & stalled it just to shut it down. Out of curiousity I removed the switch to check it & thats what I found. If its in ON position it has no current & OFF there is current. Our maintenance/millwright at work told me the same thing regarding your theory. OFF should have current & ON no current. The ignition switch work in conjunction with the KILL Switch which at this incident both has failed. The service manual tells me differently. But now I have another problem....I disconnected my TORS, all the wire thats related to this system....now my Blaster won't start. It fires up but will not continue. Any suggestion?

It rev so high that even when I turn the ignition key off it didn't shut it down. Kill switch didn't help either................I disconnected my TORS, all the wire thats related to this system....now my Blaster won't start. It fires up but will not continue. Any suggestion?

The reason the kill switch didn't kill it at high revs, is because of the compression, it is firing without coil power. You can rev a brand new off the show room floor blaster up real high, and hit the kill switch, or turn the key off, and it will keep on running. That would be a good time for it to kill the motor, if the throttle sticks, but it cant, cause the coil isn't making it run!

It fires up, but will not continue? It starts, or its seems like it is trying, or will not rev past idle after started?

Tors: You disconnected the brain under the hood, the throttle plug, and carb plug? All three plugs looked the same, right? This is on your 93 Blaster?

It start up to maybe 30 seconds. Seems like its starving for gas. Plug look okay. I put in a brand new one just to try but to no such luck.

TORS, I disconnected one by the carb, close to the petcock, 2 by the headlight & the one by the throttle block. Did I miss anything?

My 93 Blaster was running fine until recently.

lol random, but to do with killswitch. mines just a custom flip switch, not a button or anything any i cleaned and polished the lady today and started her up, a week of sitting, started first kick, let her idle for like 20 seconds, go to turn it off and the switch shocks me lol. i couldnt turn it off, so i stoped, let it idle some more then smacked it, zaped me but then it turned off. i ripped one of the wires doing that so i gota fix that tomorow. no half as switch lol geting a better one.

go to turn it off and the switch shocks me lol. i couldnt turn it off, so i stoped, let it idle some more then smacked it, zaped me but then it turned off. i ripped one of the wires doing that so i gota fix that tomorow. no half as switch lol geting a better one.

LOL....sparks jumping to the metal toggle switch huh........LOL.........that will teach ya. =))

update: I took blaster to my bike mechanic. He found the problem after 3 hrs. of testing. It was the crankshaft seal that was missing. How did it disappear? We have no idea. No trace of a broken seal anywhere. No work was done on the engine before. Weird. All in all...blaster is alive again. Thanks for the feedback.