Idle adjustment from throttle cable?

jasindude1

Jun 10, 2013
So I got my bike back after being rebuilt and the builder bypassed the TORS system but he didn't tap the carb, so I am adjusting the idle via the throttle cable on the handle bars, is this ok to do? Any harm? Or should I just tap it or just buy a RT180 carb that's ready to install? The tap kit is $20 on eBay and the new carb is $25. Thoughts?

Just clarifying for everyone. You don't have to remove the tors brick to bypass the system. However, if it was me, I would buy the tap/idle screw kit and do it right.

Get the tap and idle screw.

Using the cable causes it to pull the slide up when turning the bars, which is like pushing the thumb throttle to increase engine rpms/power. That could get dangerous in a tight or technical trail by applying throttle when not intended, possibly ending in a crash and/or injury to yourself or others

Ok, now I understand. But I could still use it in the mean time until the tap kit come in correct?

The urge to "ride now" before everything is checked and correct has been the demise of many engines...... and even some body parts :)