Ididdy's rebuild

ididdy

Apr 16, 2012
WA State
I picked up my 99 blaster a few months back for $250 from a friend of mine who bought a 400ex to replace his blaster and needed the garage space back. It had the it465 engine already swapped into it. I bought it mainly for the engine. It is a good running 465 which I know is worth more than the $250 I paid. Needless to say I have caught the blaster bug and decided to keep the power plant in the blaster. The frame is hacked up really bad though and has no title or bill of sale but I planned on using it anyway and having the bad spots gone over by my father in law with his new miller tig welder. But how quickly plans have changed. I used some of the money that I have been putting to the side for the build to buy a frame on ebay that has a title. It is a shame that it is already powder coated because I am going to have to strip it all off in order to either weld or bolt the engine mounts to the frame and gusset in needed spots. I really like the way Carnz was going with his mounts, drilling the frame and all and if I did what Phragle suggested, weld sleeves into the holes, I think it would turn out the best. I am open to suggestions though.

Goodies on the way so far are: Full hydro brake conversion, Tusk axle, Frame, StrokedTater swing arm, New axle bearings, Clutch cover gasket, and a bolt kit from specbolt.

I will be starting tear down around or after the 4th.

And some before pics:
IMG_20120417_194912.jpg

IMG_20120417_194902.jpg

IMG_20120415_171155.jpg

IMG_20120415_171139.jpg

GEDC0337.jpg

u got your work cut out for you, shes rough but for 250 u cant beat it.

Ohh yea, loads of work to get done!! I had no idea that I would be getting this deep into it when I first got it. I would have to agree this blaster is very rough, especially the frame. There are things welded up on that thing that make you scream WTF were they thinking when they did that.

If I have to and I get in a big time crunch I may use the old tired frame just for the summer. I really don't want to though.

That frame is an abortion! Smart move on getting another frame and doing it right! I will be tuned in!

That frame is an abortion! Smart move on getting another frame and doing it right! I will be tuned in!

I got a good laugh out of that one, thanks!!! It is definetely an abortion and I cant wait to throw it in the dumpster. Here's a couple pics of the frame I have on the way.

KGrHqVlEE-kN7fOBPz3bsKVcg60_3.jpg

KGrHqFhsE-RcrILg7BPz3bmmng60_3.jpg

I got my brake brake conversion parts in yesterday. Can't wait to get the blaster back at my house. I should have quite the pile of parts to put on it once it gets back. :)
IMG_20120626_014839.jpg

Nice parts and darn good deal for that motor , I have not seen this swap before so I'm staying tuned in for this one ! , Also Happy 4th As Well !

Im interested as well.Ive had a complete it 490 ready to go but never got around to doing the swap.Was a bit discouraged from all the negative posts of bad vibration and gearing issues.But the bug is back.

Im interested as well.Ive had a complete it 490 ready to go but never got around to doing the swap.Was a bit discouraged from all the negative posts of bad vibration and gearing issues.But the bug is back.
Yea it does vibrate a whole bunch but I am not going to try and stop the vibrating I am going to strengthen up the weak points with gusseting and use bolts to strap down the stock engine mounts from a 490. As far as gearing issues I picked up a yz465 bottom end so if I don't like the long geared IT I can swap in the lower geared YZ tranny. That and play with sprocket sizes. I hope you get your project going too and good luck with it.

Yea it does vibrate a whole bunch but I am not going to try and stop the vibrating I am going to strengthen up the weak points with gusseting and use bolts to strap down the stock engine mounts from a 490

Pump the entire frame with waterproof silicone!

Yea it does vibrate a whole bunch but I am not going to try and stop the vibrating I am going to strengthen up the weak points with gusseting and use bolts to strap down the stock engine mounts from a 490. As far as gearing issues I picked up a yz465 bottom end so if I don't like the long geared IT I can swap in the lower geared YZ tranny. That and play with sprocket sizes. I hope you get your project going too and good luck with it.
Yeah its been a thought in process.I am just going to get an ebay frame and take it in....lol some day.As long as its a solid mount and the top of the head mount is used I think things should be ok Im thinking of getting either a new crank or ballancing the one thats in it and also I think a modern cdi to get better revs and like you said the gearing as thats my main concern.I am still doing the homework on it.I still half to rebuild the top end but bottom end is solid and brand new never been rebuilt.I am also looking for a new jug that the exhaust exits out of the front instead of the side.But yeah its a thought in progress if I dont find a newer motor for a good priceI:I

Last edited:
Yeah its been a thought in process.I am just going to get an ebay frame and take it in....lol some day.As long as its a solid mount and the top of the head mount is used I think things should be ok Im thinking of getting either a new crank or ballancing the one thats in it and also I think a modern cdi to get better revs and like you said the gearing as thats my main concern.I am still doing the homework on it.I still half to rebuild the top end but bottom end is solid and brand new never been rebuilt.I am also looking for a new jug that the exhaust exits out of the front instead of the side.But yeah its a thought in progress if I dont find a newer motor for a good priceI:I

I have heard to leave the top head mount alone as it leads to more damage than good. I would think with the front, bottom and rear mounts that it should be in there nice and solid. I have been reading about balancing the crank to lessen the vibes. I wonder how much it will stop the vibes. Parts are crazy expensive for these engines especially when you need to find a piece that is not being reproduced. I picked up that whole yz465 bottom end for 75 bux basically for the clutch cover that is in great shape. Just the clutch cover on ebay was running $150!!

Yeah the design of the motor was never really that great and yamaha had issues with there cranks not beeing corectly ballanced.I believe they had this problem all the way up into the yz ara.Im still torn on weather to do this or just go with a newer yz 250.Much lighter and it putes out 50 hp with 30.5 foot pounds of torque at 7-8000rpm or something.I think the it 490 is 35 hp at 30 ft pounds of torque at 6000 rpm.Torn lol.Harder to fab the 250 with the liquid cooling though.But any way yes the crank needs to be ballanced and I think the head needs to be moded on the it motors.

I think your 490 has over 50 horses. The 465 was the first to meet the 50 horse mark and that was a couple years before the 490. The 250 is more of a modern swap so parts would be easier to find. On the other hand there would be a lot more fab work to do to get it to fit. Since you already have the 490 I would probably go with that. I figure use what you have unless you have the cash on hand to dive deeper.

The 490 from what I was just reading only putes out 35 hp.And its all low to mid range power for enduro.The it 465 putes out close to 50 hp at 7000 rpm.Weird as they are both the same motor but the 490 only has a 2mm larger bore.HMM?Yeah you would think it would have more but from what I am reading the 465 is a better choice.I seen a vid with the 465 on a blaster somewhere and it was a nice blaster wheelies were effortless and it sounded and ran pretty darn good.

The 490 from what I was just reading only putes out 35 hp.And its all low to mid range power for enduro.The it 465 putes out close to 50 hp at 7000 rpm.Weird as they are both the same motor but the 490 only has a 2mm larger bore.HMM?Yeah you would think it would have more but from what I am reading the 465 is a better choice.I seen a vid with the 465 on a blaster somewhere and it was a nice blaster wheelies were effortless and it sounded and ran pretty darn good.

You know the 465 jug will bolt right up to your 490 bottom end? They have the same bottom end as far as what I have researched.