Ice racing with cut tires?

jjblaster

Feb 29, 2016
I am looking to ice race this winter. I want to race with no studs. Does any one know how to make cut tires for racing rubber?

Is there a no screw class? I think you will have way more fun with ice screws.

I just bought 4 boxes of #8 x 1/4" hardened sheet metal screws to do up my tires at a total cost of about $25. I don't race, I just use them to get around on the ice. I done this for years with my enduro bikes.

18733_291155965802_6358503_n.jpg

I've cut my tires as well over the years. Cut the edge of the knobs back to sharpen them when still full height.

When I have to deal with wet rocks and logs I'll sipe my tires, usually on knobbies and usually when worn to less than half original tread height. Here is an example of a siped and screwed tire:

18733_291155990802_505934_n.jpg

This tread is actually backwards. It came off my Husaberg 450 and put on my KTM 300.
Same rims, brake disk and axle, only opposite sides. The sipes are for wet, not ice.
The little cuts tend to present a lot of sharp edges to squeegee out water and grip wet rock and wood.

Steve

the people winning the race cutting ice with there studs will make it easier for you not to slip on the ice with your rubber cutting tires.?????
this is a stupid question....Seriuosly.

Do you cut the rubber on your car/truck tires in WINTER??
No you get a softer compound rubber to grip the roads AKA winter tires..
IF you want to cut tires race in the sand..........

and im talking to jjblaster not steve........

the people winning the race cutting ice with there studs will make it easier for you not to slip on the ice with your rubber cutting tires.?????
this is a stupid question....Seriuosly.

Do you cut the rubber on your car/truck tires in WINTER??
No you get a softer compound rubber to grip the roads AKA winter tires..
IF you want to cut tires race in the sand..........

and im talking to jjblaster not steve........

I am racing in the rubber class. You can not race studs in the rubber class. And i am not looking to race with studs speedyslyder.

I don't know anything about ice racing, but if I was to tackle it I would look for the softest rubber compound I could find, I would cut the tread blocks with as many razor cuts (sipes) as I could in a chevron pattern, like this:
Snow-Tire-Sipes.jpg

The reason they are wavy is to lock under stress, you don't need that, just lots of cuts.
And lastly, treating the rubber with bleach just before a race might help.

Steve

Reactions: jjblaster