I picked up a 260-now what ?

meangreen

Aug 24, 2009
Ok,so i went to get a 270-290 today and all they had was a 260 so i said that was sure better than the 240 i had.....i got home and put it in,warmed it up,did a WOT 6th pass,pulled the (new) plug and came out with a greyish/brown color.
I figured it was still lean and picked my needle up a slot,well i could feel it was running better but another pass still showed lean,so i picked it up to the richest slot,and it felt WAY better alot peppier and had more pull to it,another plug chop still showed lean,SO i guess i will have to order in some bigger jets... DAMN IT !!
And also it tries to die after running a little while,maybe 2-3 100 yard passes at varying throttle/gears,then it acts like it is out of gas and there is NOTHING i can do to keep it running.I have to kick and kick to get it goin again. Then it will run like sh*t and keep bogging and dieing untill i put in a new plug.

sounds like your needle is too rich and your main is still a little lean. try a bigger main and drop the needle down one or two clips

i agree, the plug dont lie, and quit doing the wot's before you seize it,

Thats what is throwing me off,some time i can pull the plug and it looks like a damn perfect pancake color,so i will run it like i stole it then pull the plug just to make sure,and it will show lean WTF ?
Any idea's on the dying situation ?

it's the main thats too lean, thats why it shows on the wot runs,
and you have your needle too rich, thats why the others are showin ok, just get the right main, and then see if its dyin

ok,so i got a 270,and a 280 today and a couple new plugs.
Got home put in new plug and 270,middle slot-warmed it up,plug chop= lean.
280,middle slot=lean.....280 2nd from bottom slot=a nice golden brown !!
But it still starts acting like it's out of fuel after a few minutes of riding.
It always starts on the first kick,and has Gobbs of (blaster) power more than EVER !!
I runs good and strong and then it starts stumbling and missing then wont run under half throttle,then will die and is a biotch to get goin again ????????????

I tried "wacking it" and that did not help. I do however think it has to be a float issue.
I have a rebuild kit coming in the morning so maybe it's a needle valve issue or something i have missed.
Another question,i have been to every place within 100 miles of me looking for jets.Every shop i got to is dumbfound by my needing a few jets sizes starting at 260 and working up....WTF are they so surprised ? They say "and this is for a blaster ?"

haha,"on" has never worked,so over the years me,my buddy,whoever has ever owned it has just run it on reserve.

another thought,i am running regular octane fuel. Typically i would not ask this question,as we all know it can stir a "hornets nest" so to speek.
Anyway,my head has been shaved but i am unsure of how much. I got a head the other day that was shaved .030 and it looks like it is WAY less that what i have on there now.
The mounting surface of the head i am running is flat with the head itself-how much shaved would that be ? And on to the point,would it benefit me to up to premium with some octane booster ?

the reason i ask is i am wondering if it is getting hot and detonating after warmup (because of sh*tty fuel/and high compression) then after a few minutes it cools enuff to crank up ?

so i picked up a rebuild kit today for good measure. New needle,new pilot screw,new gaskets,the works....so i put it all in,and turned the fuel on.Gas started pouring out of everywhere it possibly could literally,now mind you i did not fiddle with the float level,i just replaced the old parts. So i took it all apart and bent the tab a little,back together and fuel poured out still.I took it apart again and bent the hell outa the little tab and now it runs REALLY good !! I did a plug chop and it looks fair could be a wee bit fatter but all in all it is far better than anything this engine has kicked out to date.So i richened up the needle i slot and ran it around a little,after about 20-30 minutes of flawless riding it started acting up IE. bogging,backfiring,and dieing. It has done 100 times better than it has ever done,and now it has started acting up again.
Also i am now running 91 octane and for whatever reason (asuming the really shaved head) it runs alot better. I now feel like i am in the final stretch with getting her going.
I am thinking about putting on the aftermarket head pipe i have but with the way things have been going i think i should get another set of jets...maybe 310,320,330 ?

yep,cleaned it today !! and now it runs on "on"
As far as a bigger carb....you don't really think do ya ? I dont have THAT many mods done,just you basic:
.050 over
no lid
uni filter
aftermarket slip on
shaved head
i have a big ass keinin (sp?) off a CR250 but i think thats to big.