how to remove dent from your pipe....

glh85

Mar 13, 2008
chicago
I know this dosent happen to quads often but on my two stroke bikes the expansion chamber sticks out like a sore thumb just waitin for the next tree or stump to ruin my day. the way I do it is I take the pipe off and CLEAN the inside pefectly!!!!!. had one pipe blow out the plugs on me once, never again. I use a rubber freeze plug to seal the big end the I have an assortment of radiator hoses necked down to a valve stem. I put about 10 to 20 pounds of air in the pipe and use a propane torch to heat up the dented spots, use a propane torch it goes nice and slow and the heated air in the pipe will increase the preasure inside along with the metal being soft to round out most of the dents.
Mark
01 Honda CR125R
01 Yamaha Blaster
84 Yamaha YZ 80
69 Honda 450
63 Honda S 90

plug both ends, fill with water, freez and the water expanding will push out all the dents...

I've read about both methods mentioned in Dirt Wheels or some other dirt bike or quad magazine, years ago.

As mentioned above, luckily the pipes on blasters aren't as vulnerable to damage as a dirt bikes is. I can remember taking a digger a few times on 2stroke bikes, getting up and starting it up again and being able to feel a loss of power from the dented pipe!! Back then I just took it to a place that is now closed and they'd fix it up when they were bad. Then I started running a guard on the pipe, to minimize damage!!

Even on the blaster, the pipe guards are kinda nifty, they also cut down on the "ting, ting, ting" noise from the pipe.....if that matters to you.

its one of the first ones, its non turbo, I went kinda old schol and jacked the compression, big valves big cam big long header and a sweet set of dual weber down drafts. I lightened it like a tin can and installed a 3.87 final drive. Its a real hi rpm motor. Hasn't been out of storage in a while since that whole marriage and kids thing, least I get the dirt bikes and quads.

the pipes on quads can get dented so easily when you take it to the shop for a rebuild and they use a f*cking hammer to get it out!!!!!!
never again will i take it to a dealer to get it fixed.....

the pipes on quads can get dented so easily when you take it to the shop for a rebuild and they use a f*cking hammer to get it out!!!!!!
never again will i take it to a dealer to get it fixed.....

I take it you had a bad experience.Did you use the hammer on them.

so in the name of science I tried the fill it with water and freeze it thing, so didn't work. filled it with water put it outside since its 12 out in the sun and let it go all day while at work, even had the ends capped off. I just made a bunch of ice in a realy wierd shape. Nice therory, but didn't work on the big pipe, heard it works for 4 poke exhaust pipes, but why would u wanna ride one of those?

at the shop i was at they ran 40 in the pipes and they have these clamps for each end and one has a valve stem for adding and removing air.