how to find out if an atv is stolen?

razorback746

Jan 19, 2010
Dayton,Ohio
i recently traded my dirt bike and 1 of my blasters for a nice kfx 400. the guy told me he bought the quad at a swap meet for $2000 and he had lost the title when he was moving to another state. what i wanna know is there anyway to check and see if its stolen??? and if i took the vin # to the local burea or police department what should i expect if it is stolen and if its not could i file for lost title... thanks

write down the vin and then call it in. if someone has reported it stolen then you'll find out that way.

well i got a bill of sale but what if he didnt put his real name i got his phone number and license plate number if i call the numbers in and it is stolen and they ask me were is this quad im gnna be f*cked

Www.nicb.org that is a theft and fraud awareness website anytime anything with a vin is reported stolen insurance companies and police departments put it on this website you there and click on the tab i think it says theft and fraud awareness then enter the vin

Yeah its either good or was just never reported stolen get the guy that sold it to you to sign the lost or stolen title form and use that along with your bill of sale to get a duplicate title

just call the DMV/local cop station and be like i am looking at buying this quad and want to know if it is stolen. here is the vin number.

i asked a sheriff and he said he would do it but it would be a lein on his file and if it did come up stolen then were is the quad and y havent they recieved it

The form is at the dmv and in texas the only fee is registration the tax and title based of how much you paid for it could be different in you state

It's not that hard to get a replacement title in ohio. You will however have to have the guy you got it from get it. I had to get a replacement title once, but it was for something I already owned. It cost me like 7 bux and took all of 5 min. If you can get the guy to get a replacement and then just transfer it to you, You'll be good to go. the only thing I can see that may be a problem is the whole out of state thing. The best thing to do would be call the title office and ask if they could get a replacement for an out of state title And just go from there. Good luck.

i asked a sheriff and he said he would do it but it would be a lein on his file and if it did come up stolen then were is the quad and y havent they recieved it

sounds like the cop doesn't want to do anything.
i have done it a couple times, just asked them to run the vin and see if anything pops up.