how do i know if i need to bore my cylinder?

maxwellh

Jun 27, 2009
seffner, fl
So, I just got a blaster in parts, it was free so I won't complain, the motor has no piston. The guy said it is in good shape and does not need to be bored, but how can I tell if he's right? I know nothing about this motor. I have to buy a piston for it, obviously, but what size? I read the "how to measure your cylinder" thread, and will do that when I get the tools. Should I bore it for good measure? This is a long term project (until next tax return, cause im broke, lol), and I want to do it right the first time. I'm also planning on flotek porting if that matters. Should I just send it to them and let them handle it?

How do I find a shop to bore it?

I would also appreciate any tips on things to check on an unknown motor for safety/reliability.

Check your cylinder walls, if you want power i would go ahead and bore it. You can find a kit online that has the piston, gaskets..etc and they will bore it for you. I'm not too good with them, so someone else will answer better for you.

your motor is fine til you have to bore it but to check it out youll have ti disassemble it you could just check your walls that would be simpler...

Im assuming that the cylinder is already taken off the engine for inspection and you just want an idea of what you're looking for. good signs (healthy engine that needs no boring) are good crosshatching (visible in decent lighting, nice 45 degree or so angle all the way down the bore, all the way around with no exceptions.) signs it may need to be honed is a lack of crosshatching, or very light scoring (looks more like a scuffmark than an actual indent in the metal.) signs of needing a bore is deep scoring (stuff that you can feel in anyway, deep gouges, even in extreme cases a "pitted" appearance) also if the cylinder is "out of round" meaning its oval shaped along any section of the bore, this wont be oval shaped to the eye, but the correct measuring tools and procedures will make it obvious something is wrong.

for the most part, the less extreme symptoms (scuffing, poor crosshatch etc.) are tolerable to a point, but you said you wanted to do this right the fist time, so i gave you most of what damage a cylinder can sustain so youu can determine how far you want to repair it.

blaster cylinders wear hard in the exhaust ports make sure u have someone that knows about then to make that decision Check out my cylinder work. click on my user name