hotter plug?

1252smoke

Sep 27, 2009
west virginia
Fould out a pluge out in the middle of now where. Some one had a spare for
rm125 ngk b7es not a b8es one hotter. Ran alot better cleaned out faster resited loading up. Im thinking using the hotter b7es insted of the b8es. Did a plug reading on it it was spot on. I thought 1 number hotter could hurt any thang? Or should a stick with the b8es? Has any one different heat ranges in there blaster?

Hotter plugs work great in old worn out 4 strokes with bad rings. If you like how it runs stick with it but keep an eye on it as the temperature gets cooler and your bike starts to run a little leaner. It don't take a whole lot of lean or detonation to break the porcelain on a hot plug. Keep the B8ES with you so your not stranded.

why not just rejet and fix the problem right?

I thought of that. but running a little rich at hi rpm would keep the cylinder and piston cooler? The hotter plug would help when your not in the power band? I might be off thinking this but Ive tride some jetting and seemed if it ran good down low it ran to lean up hi and vice versa. This set up has the best of both. Having a richer mixture with out fouling the plug, or bogging from the plug cooling at lower rpm.

NO, they make plugs with different heat ranges if you are riding in extreme tempurature ranges. A hotter or colder plug is just a band aid fix and is not the way to go. If it is running lean up top then all you have to do it put a bigger main jet in. There are a couple of different jetting circuits that you must change. I would suggest that you go to a stock plug and jet it correctly.

words of wisdom.... if you run a hotter plug it can and will burn a hole in the top of your piston. seen it from others on the forum. one kid tryed a jeep spark plug, ran awesome till the piston burned up.

the plugs heat range is how hot the plug accually gets it has nothing to do with the spark intensity..
a hotter plug will be abile to burn off deposits better then a colder plug but if the weather is too hot then that hot plug will turn into a sorce of preignition.
also if you use a plug thats too cold then it isnt hot enough to burn off the deposits and will foul out