Hop-Up or Upgrade??

ryanbohr

May 2, 2012
Michigan
Alright, I've recently been looking at upgrades for my 00' blasty, and then I started adding up the costs. Nerf Bars: $150, Rear tires: $160, Exhaust/reeds/jet kit: $475, I can go on and on. So, what I'm asking you guys is, is it worth putting a grand into a Blaster to make it a little closer to the 400's and 450's that everyone seems to have nowadays, or do I just upgrade to something bigger and better? I know a guy that has a Suzuki LTZ400 that he is looking to sell and get a YFZ450. It is already upgraded and maintained well, and I can probably get it for around $1500.

My Blaster is completely stock and is in excellent condition, which can even be worth more than an upgraded one because people know that it doesn't have anything that was put together badly, and they can have the fun of upgrading it. I love my Blaster, and they can do a lot of things that other quads can't do, but we all know that they are by far not the best for anything, they're a little slow, and pretty small. I'm only around 5'4 right now, but I have a feeling that being a little taller will make it uncomfortable for me.

So, what do you guys think? Put a lot of money into an old quad that isn't comparable to others, or just get a new one that I can actually race with my buddies and have a chance?

Alright, I've recently been looking at upgrades for my 00' blasty, and then I started adding up the costs. Nerf Bars: $150, Rear tires: $160, Exhaust/reeds/jet kit: $475, I can go on and on. So, what I'm asking you guys is, is it worth putting a grand into a Blaster to make it a little closer to the 400's and 450's that everyone seems to have nowadays, or do I just upgrade to something bigger and better? I know a guy that has a Suzuki LTZ400 that he is looking to sell and get a YFZ450. It is already upgraded and maintained well, and I can probably get it for around $1500.

My Blaster is completely stock and is in excellent condition, which can even be worth more than an upgraded one because people know that it doesn't have anything that was put together badly, and they can have the fun of upgrading it. I love my Blaster, and they can do a lot of things that other quads can't do, but we all know that they are by far not the best for anything, they're a little slow, and pretty small. I'm only around 5'4 right now, but I have a feeling that being a little taller will make it uncomfortable for me.

So, what do you guys think? Put a lot of money into an old quad that isn't comparable to others, or just get a new one that I can actually race with my buddies and have a chance?

im almost 6 foot and it feels fine, i have no front fenders witch helps alot though, a modded blaster will keep up with a 400. a nice exhaust and new airfilter and no airlid really wakes up theses little machines!!

You will be surprised at just how much performance you can get out of a Blaster with some smart upgrades.

I am 6'2" and don't have a bit of trouble riding my Blasty. You just have to make it wider so it becomes more stable. A G-Force rear axle and some front wheel spacers or a widening kit are a good start in that department.

You'll never catch a modern 450r on the drag strip with even a heavily-modded Blaster. BUT, if you're a good rider, you can beat them all day long on the trails, in the woods, and often run with them on the MX track. I love the light weight of my bike. I can throw it around with ease, and zip past heaver 4-strokes when things get tight.

You can get a lot of extra power out of a Blaster engine with a port job and head work. Combine that with a good pipe and a bigger carb, and you'll be surprised at just how quick it'll move. An Ltz 400 rear shock is a great (and cheap!!) upgrade. You can also find Works front shocks that won't break the bank.

The point is, I'd rather keep the Blaster than buy a newer 4-stroke quad to replace it. I used to own a TRX 450r and eventually sold it because it got boring. Sure, it was fast, but it was heavy and loud and just wasn't much fun after a couple rides.

Plus, I don't like having to change engine AND gearbox oil after every 20 hours of runtime. Gets expensive. lol. Valve lash adjustments also are a PITA. You'll never have to worry about that on a 2-stroke Blaster.

If you build your Blaster properly, you can beat 400ex's and most stock LTZ 400's with few problems. I'd give the Blaster a second chance at being modded. I think it will surprise you!

Only listing performance mods, around how much would I have to spend? I found a kit from Paul Turner Racing that includes a pipe, silencer, reeds, and jetting kit for $475. Besides that, what would it take to make it a beast in the power department?

Only listing performance mods, around how much would I have to spend? I found a kit from Paul Turner Racing that includes a pipe, silencer, reeds, and jetting kit for $475. Besides that, what would it take to make it a beast in the power department?

a great all around plus nice sounding pipe is a toomey, just buy single jets though, dont buy jet kits the are a waste of money, if you want a real beast, get a aggressive trail port, stroker crank, theres lots you can do to blasters thats why we like em! there easy to make go fastI:I

Aftermarket exhaust, I like my toomey, and i've had a right bend power pro's that kicked too! If you want to spread the upgrades out and the bottom end is in no need of repair at this time, then I would start with a rechambered head,(60-75) Aftermarket pipe used or new(200-350),larger carb($75-200) And a nice set of dual stage reeds(50) set of Vforce3.(80-125). I would save the port work on the cylinder until It needed a new piston. I would then Upgrade the front shocks with works or elkas even stage 1's are nice (that's what I have), and can be had for (200-500) a set. Then get yourself a 400LTZ, EX, 250R rear shock, extended rear axle and you'll have same suspension as those larger quads but 100 or so lbs less! I'm 6' 230lbs I have no issues riding a blaster or a rappy 250! I love to be able to whip those frames around! Makes it so much more nible and faster that most people think! lil3mil-on here holds a drag race record on a blaster!

Okay, so it seems like for a grand I can make my blaster pretty good. But, now I guess the question is, is it worth putting a lot of money into an entry level quad, or is upgrading to something better even while it is stock compared to an upgraded Blaster?

Okay, so it seems like for a grand I can make my blaster pretty good. But, now I guess the question is, is it worth putting a lot of money into an entry level quad, or is upgrading to something better even while it is stock compared to an upgraded Blaster?

ask most of the guys on here, we are happy with are blasters, there small light, the power to weight ratio is great, there easy to whip around and easy to mod!! your choice

here ill support the other side of ur argument.

i got rid of my blaster for a kfx400

havent regretted it even 1 bit. rides so much smoother. stock you just throw it into the corners and it doesnt even think of tipping. and the power is just so usable for the trails. i had to rebuild mine due to the previous owner rebuilding incorrectly, so i even had to put unnecessary money in mine and i still dotne regret it at all

trust me. get a z400. have electric start, reverse, and a full size chassis, and never look back