Hone preferences

Coopergreen

Feb 18, 2016
First post here. Been lurkin for a while. Im doing a top end on a stock bore 2000 blaster. Took the jug to work and miced it. Its still .002 under the service limit. No scoring. I want to hone it and put another sandard piston in it. Was thinking anout a rigid hone. What do you guys think? TIA

Sunnen AN111 with the proper stones, or a Ammco 3950 with the proper stones.
I own both, and both are great hones! Very accurate when used properly.
You need a rigid positive pressure hone, which both of these are.
Ball hones, and using sandpaper with your hand is a no no.
One last thing...Measure, measure, measure... and I mean PROPERLY!
Almost forgot this too... PROPER port chamfering is a must!

Why are you re-building the top end in the first place? What happened?

Reactions: OConnor Racing
Thanks for the replies. As far as the measuring goes, I'm pretty confident in my numbers. Im a machinist, so precision measurement is sorta my thing. I've just never built a motor, so I'm still learning on that end. Lots of good info on this site. Thanks again

So you installed a new "standard" size piston and new rings in the cylinder you just honed and went from
95 lbs of compression to 110 lbs of compression?
Now that's funny! A whopping "almost" 10 lb increase in compression. Whoo hoo!
Nothing like doing it right the first time huh?

Perhaps I can help?

What was the bore measurement "average" (top, middle, bottom) in thousandths?
How much taper did the bore have in thousandths?
How "out of round" was the bore in thousandths?

What brand piston did you use (picture)?
What brand rings?

Please post a photo of the hone you used and the measuring equipment you used. This will help...

Yeah what?
Why not just take it to your local motorcycle shop/machine shop and have it properly honed for like $60?
Fitting an over-sized piston isn't that costly and is worth it. It would be a lot less expensive than a purchasing a positive pressure hone. With a fresh top end you'll be in the 130 lb compression range and have piece of mind.

I dont have anyone local that does that kinda work. Didnt really care to ship it anywhere to have it done either. I think it'll be fine for my purposes

Everyone is just looking out for your best interest, and most of all your wallet. 110 psi is low. $65 bucks for a bore/hone st KOR's shop is cheap. Just putting it out there.

I appreciate what your saying hand. Ill probably do something different next time. For now though...its gonna run like it is.