High-Teck-Redneck

High-Tech

Jul 28, 2010
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Hello, My name is Justin. I live in Portage Michigan. I just picked up a 2003 Blaster for free with a blown motor. The oil pump failed and the piston melted on the exhaust side(from what i have read about on here this is the best i have come up with as the reason). I am currently tearing the motor down to examine the case to decide if it is cracked or not. If the case is cracked and unusable i will be looking for a motor to swap into it. The jug is good, with no scratches, and the crank is blued but not bad. The bearings are good on the crank as well. It appears all it needs is a top end rebuild. I took the gear off the oil pump as well as the pin, and I'm going to plug the oil line that goes to the carb. That way there isn't a vacume leak in the carb. And i will be mixing the gas at 32:1 as suggested by a few members on this forum. I have been reading a lot of threads on here and appreciate the helpfulness of the members.I am having a problem splitting the case as the screws for the center of the case and the stator cover have ALL stripped out(this is why i got the quad for free. The guy didn't feel like messing with it)! If anyone has some insight on how to get these out it would be very helpful.:-/

Last edited:
Well...I got the screws out of the caseI:I, and i ordered a Vitos allen head set to replace the screws in the stator and clutch covers. I also ordered new screws for all the stripped ones for the bottom end, now its on to the top end. I am in need of a Wrist pin bearing. The case is good and i put it all back together, just waiting on the new screws and gaskets before i button it all back up. I have to take the jug in and see if its still at standard bore or not. Then i can order the top end kit. I also need new reeds because i messed them up when i took them out when i tore it down. Does anyone know where i can get a cheap set of reeds and a wrist pin bearing?

Sounds good. It's cool having new members that know what they're doing.

Especially when they know to look around and read before asking questions.

Look for reeds on Ebar and I don't know what that other thing is. There is one good cheap brand for reeds but I forget it at the moment.

Wrist pin bearing, gaskets, and piston are available in a kit.

i found a complete top end rebuild for $102 shipped, this includes piston, rings, clips, gaskets, bearing and wrist pin. Heres the catch tho, i have never heard of the name of it. here is a copy and past of the info i found for it.

(NEW WSM Performance Parts Platinum Series Engine Rebuild kit for Yamaha Blaster. Fits all years. This is a stock bore rebuild kit. Kit includes a std bore (66.00 mm) Platinum Series Piston, rings, wrist pin, circlips, wrist pin bearing and a top end gasket set! All the parts you need in one kit.

The Platinum pistons are a high strength hardened piston that is designed to prevent skirt and ring groove breakage in stock and performance applications. The pistons are treated with a non-abrasive coating which reduces heat and friction for added horsepower and greatly extends piston life.)

does this sound like a good deal or not? the reason i ask is i hear nothing but good things out of wiesco's and i have never heard of these. do you think there would be that much difference?

i know you get what you pay for but this sounds like alot of stuff i need for not alot of $$. and to boot, the wiesco's dont have a kit with the wrist pin bearing included.

by the way, the wrist pin bearing is between the piston and connecting rod.

-EDIT-

i also found (Boyesen Power Reeds Yamaha Blaster 200 88-06) for $27.99 shipped, is that a good deal or should i keep looking? does anyone run these that can give me an idea of the power gain over stockers?

Last edited:
i'd spend the extra $20 and get the wiseco forged piston kit, keep lookin on ebay, they do make a kit that includes the wrist pin, think i paid $127 last time

but the wsm will work too, but you may wanna have that cylinder checked, it prolly needs bored to the next size ? just lookin at it will not tell the tale, it has to be measured, prferably by someone who knows blasters

and yeah, those reeds will work good for ya, the last set i bought before i went to
v-force were called "aktive" brand, and made a noticible difference in throttle response
$20 on ebay

get that cylinder checked !!!!

welcome to the forum, and WE WANT PICS, haha.

another one on getting a weisco. Also are you needing the wrist pin, or the bearing that goes between. Most pistons will come with the wrist pin, then you either reuse your old bearing or buy a new one. The bearing are like 10 bucks shipped of egay so are you best just buying a new one either way.

welcome to the forum, and WE WANT PICS, haha.

another one on getting a weisco. Also are you needing the wrist pin, or the bearing that goes between. Most pistons will come with the wrist pin, then you either reuse your old bearing or buy a new one. The bearing are like 10 bucks shipped of egay so are you best just buying a new one either way.

welcome bro, sorry bout our pic whore friend, haha, sounds like u have a nice project goin

Ok, heres whats up! The motor is at a friends house because I don't have a garage. Here are some pictures

This is what i pulled out of the crank.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/redneckgunner/master blaster/Blaster002.jpg

This is of the bent handlebars.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/redneckgunner/master blaster/Blaster006.jpg

A pic of my "garage" with parts all over the place...lol BTW the oil tank has been removed.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/redneckgunner/master blaster/Blaster003.jpg

Here is a bigger picture of the blown piston.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/redneckgunner/master blaster/Blaster001.jpg

Here is a picture of what it looks like sitting in my yard with no motor and minimal plastic...lol

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/redneckgunner/master blaster/Blaster005.jpg

So yeah, this is what my project is and ill update with how its coming along

-EDIT-

I missed the question about the wrist pin, I need the bearing, and the wiesco set is like $165 with the bearing and I'm not rich so I'm going to go with the WSM kit for $102 and try it. If it blows then it will be a lesson learned. But you never know unless you try

Last edited:
I just got back from the local bike shop and they said its 20 over. But looks perfect. so I called my buddy and figured out what the deal is with it.

he had it bored out, then rebuilt. He didn't prime the oil line and it burnt up 15 minutes into the break-in process.

The Jug is perfect with no scores or scratches. They told me it was a stroke of luck that its still good and doesn't need a bore again:eek:. I will be ordering parts when I get the money, but bills are winning the war right now!X(

If anyone has any thing they can toss my way cheap to keep costs down it will be very helpful.

you can find a weisco way cheaper than 125 on ebay. also get a oil injection block off kit. mix your own gas at 32/1 and you will never have that problem again.

I already took the gear off the oil pump, and blocked the hole in the carb. I'm one step ahead of you on that...lol I'm not taking any chances.B)

I found a Wiseco kit with everything for $106 shipped. Here is a link in case anyone else might need a .20 kit cheap.

Yamaha Blaster Wiseco .020 Piston Gaskets Bearing Kit: eBay Motors (item 170514871169 end time Aug-16-10 05:13:43 PDT)

Now for the fun stuff, does anyone have a set of reeds that are good that they might send me for free pretty much because I'm tapped out on this project now.

I'm already going to make my own gaskets for the clutch cover. because im not spending the $17 for it!

I still need get a few other odds and ends like crank case oil and premix oil.

I just realized something, never buy something with a blown motor cuz it costs to much and takes to long to fix so you can enjoy it...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. u got it free, all it's gonna cost you is a top end rebuild... my 250r needs a FULL rebuild or fully working motor and I BOUGHT IT lol. still worth what I got it for an then some :)