help

Bad deal. Generally if it "just needs rings" there is a bunch more work to be done.

My Blaster was advertized as "just needs reeds".
Piston and bore were trash. On the YZ125 that is a $500 bill.
My son had a YZ125 about that year. Good bike overall.
We put a crank and several pistons in it.

Running Blaster for a dead YZ, not a good deal.
What if crank is bad, gears damaged, electronics problem, etc? You wouldn't know.

I would think that's a plated cylinder, so any cylinder damage is at least a $265 cost plus piston, rings and gaskets. With that being said, it is possible that it only needs rings. When I rode bikes, several of my friends would buy new bikes every 3 to 5 years. The SOP for all of us was new piston and rings about ever other year and just new rings the year between. This was just part of a preventive maintenance routine that seemed to work well. I bought a used KX250 "needing a topend" that I had to have replated and when I sold it 5 seasons later, the cylinder was as good as new (I replaced the piston and rings before selling, so I know the condition of the cylinder). I doubt that would be the case here. It's not logical to sell a bike for several hundred less than it would bring if it had a set of $50 rings installed. I've bought many non running bikes and learned to plan to replace everything, not a cheap and easy item. If he's sure that's all it needs, ask him to pull the cylinder and show you.

I wouldn't even trade him the Stihl MS440 saw he's wanting. Lol. That's an $ 800.00 chainsaw when new and still worth a few hundred used.

dksix pretty well summed it up. I'd trade dead-for-dead, or running-for-running, but I would NOT give up a nice running Blaster for a dead dirtbike. There are plenty of people out there who would be willing to trade a bike in good running condition for your Blaster in good running condition.

for the first link ,that bike has a nickel plated cylinder more then likely the cylinder is damaged as if all it needed was rings im sure he would of done it . to replate the cylinder wouldnt be cheap ..... for the second bike it depends on whats wrong with it ? i just fully rebuilt my yz250f and really the way i look at it if one shift fork or gear got jammed /broke it would do alot of damage.try and stick with the newer bikes them older ones handle like crap