help

newtoyamaha2121

Oct 15, 2012
my throttle is sticking wide open on my 2006 Yamaha blaster. its not the throttle cord it will bounce back every time. it will rev up and stick i dont know how to take off the carb to clean it i need help if any one can shed some light please

unscrew the two screws on the the boots carb should easily pull out then 4 bolts to remove bttle of bowl just be carefull taking it off shoot it with some carb cleaner also if it revving high lower the idle screw if your throttle cable is fine

Uncontrollable revving usually points to an air leak somewhere in the system.

It could be a good idea to leak test it.

If the TORS is still fitted the linkage to the slide may be messed up or sticking.

i have no electrical wiring its all been ripped out except the headlight no battery the harness has been shredded

Have you recently taken anything apart ?

When did this problem develop ? all of a sudden ? or did you work on something on the blaster ?

Just because the throttle cable is coming back or lever, does not mean you do not have a sticking issue.

the carb slie could be sticking, the cable at the cab on top of the tors could have came out of the fitting and sticking on the top of te fitting, instead of inside of the fitting also.

A dirty carb can also cause this.

But often, if you have not done anything and this just developed. I would tend to have to plug the old, check 4 a air leak.

But dont rule out a dirty air filter or a clogged pet weiner filter.

Sporty

Another option to try. to check if its the slide.

remove the gas tank. you can easier get to the top of the carb/ slide.

you then can unscrew the tors cap and pull out the side, you can also check the cable there and make sure its inside the fitting and has not came out of it.

and you can use carb cleaner to clean the slide.

Not saying the carb does not need clean, but this is a easier and quicker way to check the carb slide.

things to keep in mind, the tors, there is a screw and bracket, that you will have to remove, before you can first unscrew the cap. it locks the cab onto the carb body.

a few other mentions.

your carb slide has a notch in it, it can only go down and in, one way, if you do not get it right, the slide will not go all the way back down and it will not work right. high idle issue. and rev issue will develop.

inside of the carb slide, there is a little raised pin. that has to slide into the grove on the carb slide.
I only mention this option to try, if you are leary of taking the carb off the boots and ect and cleaning it properly. as this may not resolve your issue, if you float needle or jets are dirty and need cleaned.

But this also can help you check the carb cable at the fitting on top of the tors. as once you start twisting the carb to remove it, it might be harder to tell, if you had a issue there to begin with.

Sporty

i didnt do no work on it i bought it like this im not familiar with the motor enought to really work on it yet

When u say you cleaned the carb, did you disassemble it? or just spray it out? I bet you put the slide in wrong and it's stuck open!

The proper way is to completely disassemble it, all jets, washers, airscrews, springs, slide, everything then use carb cleaner to clean each piece separate, use compressed air to finish the cleaning/drying process, some guys use a thin piece of wire to get inside the holes in the pilot jet also! Reassemble, making sure you put the slide in correctly there is a tab inside the carb top and a cut out on the slide match them up.

i put the carb on right the slide was moving freely i think its catching something in the thing on top of the carb i think its the tors but im not sure

Yes that is the tors box. If the electric part is disconnected we can rule that out. There are two sides to that box and both have little panels that can be removed, be careful there is a gasket there. Take them off , just may need some grease, water in there is a common thing!

i was wrong the wiring is there just hanging because my head light still works it just looked weird everything is still hooked up

So the plug and wire coming out of tghe silver tors box on the carb is plugged into the harness and the switch on the throttle is plugged into the harness?

could that be causing the throttle to stick tho

YES! That is one of the reasons Most of us delete it! The other reason is to upgrade the carb, clean up the engine compartment.

If it were me I would follow those directions, and see if that cures your problem, that is if your certain, the carb is clean and put together correctly. Oh I would also do a leak test on it, especially if any part of it has been removed, example, intake, reeds,head, cylinder, whether for a rebuild or repair.

i bought like this and i didnt know anything about blasters and im trying to learn so how do u leak test.
i have no idea what he did to it before i got it

You need to buy or make one of these-
29CE6BA6-orig_zpsbd095211.jpg

Then this is the instructions-
14mqc1y.jpg

and finally a video-

Last edited by a moderator: