Help!

MCEWEN

Dec 14, 2011
I just bought a 2002 Blaster last weekend and I'm pretty positive that it has a piston slap.

The bike didn't have an exhaust gasket on it, someone said in a similar post to this that that could be the sound, but I put my hand through the exhaust port and pushed the piston and it seemed to have a bit of play in it.

If The bike needs a new piston and rings then what should I do? get it honed out to the next size up, or put a sleeve in it?

Thanks!!

unless it's on it's last bore, no need for resleeving it
more than likely a new piston and bore job will be all that is needed,
to confirm this, have a shop measure the clearence between the piston skirt and cylinder, if beyond specs.....004/.005 max, it'll need new piston/bore job,
but definately have it checked, piston slap is the main cause of shttered stock cast pistons, which will require the cases to be split for cleaning and/or new crank/bearings
so kudos to you for catching this early, before further damage is done...to your wallet !!!!

if you don't have a good reputable shop close by, click the ken oconnor racing link below my sig pic, and/or call the number below, worth the few bucks shipping to know it's done right, by ken himself

I'm not really sure if its on the stock bore at the moment but if it is then what is the next size up?

also how much does it usually cost to get the cylinder bored or honed out one size?

Can you post one so i can compare it and to get it bored usally is around 60 and you have to order a new piston and rings all that good stuff

Is that yours or does yours just sound like that? With a missing ex gasket might be real hard to determine piston slap with the ex noise too.

No its not my bike, mine sounds like that but not as loud.

At first I thought it might just be the gasket but then when i pushed on the piston it had some play in it so now I figure it must be a piston slap.

I'm not really sure if its on the stock bore at the moment but if it is then what is the next size up?

also how much does it usually cost to get the cylinder bored or honed out one size?

When boring any engine it usually goes in increments .010 and a blaster with a stock just can be bored out i belive if memory serves me correct .090 over.

You only want to go up to the very next size you can safely and reliably use say you only need a .020 over go with that instead of say a .050 or whatever since you wont feel the power just overboring will have if any and youre just taking life from the bore that may come in handy down the road.

To measure it you can just use vernier calipers and measure at the bottom of the bore multiple times in the circumfrance of the bore to get an idea as to if its out of round but the best tool if you can get one is a bore gauge thatll tell if the cylinders ballooned or not.

On the brighter side, the Blaster engine is notorious for being very noisy.

If you have concerns about piston slap I would recomennd you take it to a professional for a second opinion.

X-2 on bore gauge. You need to measure where rings ride in cylinder. Proper way is to take six readings. Top, middle, bottom side to side. Top, middle, bottom front to back. This will show out of round and taper. ONLY bore to size needed to clean it up. I:I