Help with studs.

skntsqrl

Apr 15, 2009
Oklahoma
Ok, so I was putting the cylinder back on and when I did one of the bolts/studs that connect the top end to the lower end broke off. There is a little bit of thread left at the top and then a space with no thread and more threads. So my question is how do i get the bolt out without have to weld a nut to it?

Yeah try the good ol' Vice Grips or channel locks. If that doesn't work you will probably have to weld the nut on and break it loose. It's really easy to weld the nut on and if I was closer I would offer to come and weld it up for yah because I need practice but I don't think plane tickets are cheap. lol Hope I helped somehow, Paul. =]

tried vice grips and cant get a good hold on it. I thought about gettin a skinnier nut to hold it in place to double nut it. That way i can use the thread thats there. You think that will work.

That may work as long as there are enough threads there for the nut to grip. If there isn't the other nut may break loose. It won't take much to pop the bolt out of the jug. Around 55 pounds of pressure I believe. The manual recommends 18 pounds of torque on the head nuts last I checked.

I'm gonna try some JB weld and see how that does. If it doesnt work then I will weld it. Just have to wait on a welder to use. Do you know if a dealership would handle the bolt or if I have to order it online?

Okay got it out today. JB welded the nut on there and it loosened it enough to get some vice grips to get it out. Now just waiting on the lovely brown truck to arrive with parts. Thanks guys for all the help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions when I get into the top end of the 2004. Hopefully its not to bad since I only paid $400 for it. Ill get some pics posted of both of them when they are back together.

Alright sweet. No problem helping thats what I'm here for. =] And as for the pictures, they are always fun to see other peoples projects. So hurry up and post em! lol