Help with 02 blaster

Hatekrimes

Mar 6, 2017
Hi guys I'm new to the forum but I figured this is the place to ask! I'm buying a 02 blaster in a couple days for 400 it's super clean bone stock except for aftermarket stater and nerf bar foot cage thing, but anyway the guy just locked it up he premixing his gas before and he decided to hook the oil pump line back up and use it...for some reason i do not know. Well needless to say he made a couple laps and it locked the motor up. While talking 5o him i learned it was stock piston and nothing has ever been rebuilt on it... So question is I'm wondering what to do. I'm hoping I can free it up and hone the cylinder walls out and buy a new piston. Does anyone think that's possible? Or am i gonna have to have it bored out more than likely? I know it's hard to say until i get it and crack open the motor, but I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into. I'm hoping to only have to spend about 150 max on it and have it running good. But he'll if it was original piston in there and it's a 02 I'm not sure how it survived this long Lol! I've never owned a 2 stroke but I've done alot slot of research on them. And my buddy I'm getting it from told me when he picked it up it hardly looked like anyone had drove it and it has never saw mud before lol. But with all that info do y'all think it's a good deal and how hard will it be to get running again. Also will i have to do anything extra like open the bottom end and look for peices of the piston or does that only happen sometimes. Thanks guys

if he is your BUDDY tag team it and take the cylinder off/or cylinder head
or take exhaust off have a peak at exhaust side or take reed cage off and have a look at intake side of cylinder/piston...
or take off plastic flywheel cover next to foot shifter for signs of damage like.....
flywheel jammed against stator will lock it up as well:D

something has to come off take your pic:p

Welcome to the blaster family. The problem you're facing is a common problem. You're not going to like some of the answers we're going to give you, but hang on for the ride.

I can't comment on your price of purchase. All depends where you live.

It's impossible to determine what the engine needs. Unload the cylinder and inspect the piston. If the piston has chips, or is missing cir-clips then splitting the cases will be needed.

If your budget is only $150, either tell the ol'lady you're upping the budget, or find a new one!

A top end rebuild kit is going to run you between $130-$150 depending on the piston choice. Throw on a hone of the cylinder, and best case you get it rebuilt for $150-$180. A bore from most shops is $40-$60. A hone is about $20. You do the math.

The old saying applies for your parts: You get what you pay for. Don't cheap out, or you'll run the risk of having to redo it at a faster rate.

if he is your BUDDY tag team it and take the cylinder off/or cylinder head
or take exhaust off have a peak at exhaust side or take reed cage off and have a look at intake side of cylinder/piston...
or take off plastic flywheel cover next to foot shifter for signs of damage like.....
flywheel jammed against stator will lock it up as well:D

something has to come off take your pic:p
Yeah im definitely gonna take the cylinder off and I'm pretty sure it's the piston seized since it happens after he stopped prefixing and hooked the oil pump back up ( pretty sure he didn't bleed it). I was just wondering if it it always needs a bore after a piston seizure from running too lean is my guess or is there a chance I could just hone it

Welcome to the blaster family. The problem you're facing is a common problem. You're not going to like some of the answers we're going to give you, but hang on for the ride.

I can't comment on your price of purchase. All depends where you live.

It's impossible to determine what the engine needs. Unload the cylinder and inspect the piston. If the piston has chips, or is missing cir-clips then splitting the cases will be needed.

If your budget is only $150, either tell the ol'lady you're upping the budget, or find a new one!

A top end rebuild kit is going to run you between $130-$150 depending on the piston choice. Throw on a hone of the cylinder, and best case you get it rebuilt for $150-$180.

The old saying applies for your parts: You get what you pay for. Don't cheap out, or you'll run the risk of having to redo it at a faster rate.
Thanks! I live in NC good ol USA: ) cheapest I have found is a running blaster but was a 99 or maybe 00 for 1200 and it was pretty beat up so i think I'm getting pretty good deal. Quads and bikes are expensive around here because of all the countryside and mountains

Yeah im definitely gonna take the cylinder off and I'm pretty sure it's the piston seized since it happens after he stopped prefixing and hooked the oil pump back up ( pretty sure he didn't bleed it). I was just wondering if it it always needs a bore after a piston seizure from running too lean is my guess or is there a chance I could just hone it

depends on how long you want it to run?
if it is a seized top end and you dont have it measured correctly or bored out to fit a new piston
it is a waste of time and money and will break again.... very very soon.
get the cylinder measured by a professional shop wayyy before you jkust order a top end for it
WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY SERIOUSLY
also check the connecting rod for up/down play and measure the specs on the side to side movement limits.

free manual
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/

Thanks! I live in NC good ol USA: ) cheapest I have found is a running blaster but was a 99 or maybe 00 for 1200 and it was pretty beat up so i think I'm getting pretty good deal. Quads and bikes are expensive around here because of all the countryside and mountains
Before you start throwing parts at the bike, take the cylinder to a reputable shop. Don't let a scrub work on it. Find out what the shop recommends, then come back here and do more research. There's about 10 different routes to go here. While you're at the shop, pick up a clymers manual. It's basically the Bible of our bikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: speedyslyder
Thanks guys hopefully I'm picking the quad up tomorrow, so idk if I'll be able to break it down or have to wait till the weekend but I'll post some pics and keep y'all updated! Thanks for all your replies!!

So i got the quad. Broke it free by barely rolling it while in gear... he'll i even got it too start... after I took exhaust and checked the piston and it looked great! I'll post some pics... but I was warning it up and boiling the throttle sometimes it tried to bog down but it idled fine and had has good throttle response....then it died and the kicker was locked so i put in gear and barely rolled it backwards and it broke free again... still has great compression when i kick it...so I'm lost guys I found pre mixed gas in the tank and i think he has the oiler hooked up also but I did see a clear hose coming off thr carb that was cut. So it seems it will run but it soft seized. And Also there was a loud kinda ticking sound coming from left side of motor

For some reason i cant post pics. So I'll try when i get home...thr piston looks new and also looks forges. After I broke it free both times. Which took very small effort it has great compression again. So idk bro

So question is...is the pre mix and oil pump together making the piston soft seize??? I just don't know why i can unstuck it so easy and I got it to run then it died...was stuck again. So i put in first and rolled backwards and it was free again?? Plz someone help im not sure whats causing this. Is it the rings? Is it running too much oil??? Idk but i want to fiz it asap jus dont know what i need to do. If i could post the pics of the piston its in nice shape... and also i could push the kickstarter with my hand it has hard but managable. Does that mean compression is low and i need a new piston and rings?? And maybe thats ehy it keeps soft seizing. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20170308_212844.jpg
    20170308_212844.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 137
Piston pics

Attachments

• 20170308_212950.jpg
    20170308_212950.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 141
  • 20170308_212844.jpg
    20170308_212844.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156
The quad!! Shes dirty from where she died and locked up on him... but he towed to the house and now its free and i got it to run!! Needs a good washing and will look like new!

Attachments

• 20170308_214532.jpg
    20170308_214532.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 150
There's something wrong with the bike of the motor/piston continues to 'lock up'. What do you mean by lock up?

Does the bike run ok, and then it dies?

Does the kickstart lever not move?

Grab yourself a compression tester before you start the quad again. Find out what condition the top end is in before it possibly grenades on you.

There's something wrong with the bike of the motor/piston continues to 'lock up'. What do you mean by lock up?

Grab yourself a compression tester before you start the quad again. Find out what condition the top end is in before it possibly grenades on you.
Yeah ima grab a tester today and see what its reading. I got it running and it idled by itself while it was cold...so i was slightly revving it to warm it up like they do on heat cycles and it would bog sometimes and then sometimes it didnt bog.. buti let it die when it bogged and tried to kick it and was locked..so i put it in first gear and barely rolled it backwards and i xould hear compression coming from the muffler as the piston was moving. So it was free again... idk why its doing it... im wondering if maybe the rings are catching or maybe the kickstarter is messing up.. but also he has pre mix in the tank and has the oil pump hooked up i think. So i read that too much oil could cause lean seizure...but hell man idk. I get to go work on it some tonight so ill post back in a couple hours. Im going to try and get a compressioon tester and if its low ima take the cylinder off and look at the piston because i only looked thru the exhaust hole. And if u see in the pics it dousnt look like a stock pisyon too me iy looks new and looks like a forged one.. but hell idk untill i take the cylinder head off. Also there was a clear line coming off the carb on the right side of the bike and it was cut short. Idk what its for? But im sure it sucking air right there. And i dont thibk its the drain because there is anoyher line thst goes straight down.

Also there was a loud sound like a ticking or maybe knocking from right side of the bike while it was running but dad said it has sounded like that since the guy had it and always ran fine so idk.. i did read blaster had a loud tick to them so idk man

So ive been riding it around. Lol. Only thing i notice id the kickstarter geinds sometimes and im guessing thats what seized the motor up every now and then do i guess i should take thst plste off and drain the tranny fluid and get some new oil in there? Im gonna do the tors delete and oil injector delete. But i think i need a new plug and drain the gas because it runs but it wont idle and it has alot of small bsckfires in the expansion tube it sounds like...scared me for a bit thought it was piston slap but it runs too good man. Has alot of power. So im not sure exactly... any ideas on the grinding when i kick the kickstarter?

5 min wash with purple power lol! Not bad for running 02 blaster the guy thought was locked up for 400$$$

Attachments

• 20170310_190516.jpg
    20170310_190516.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 158
And if anyone could post some pics of a correct carb setup on both side plx because mine has a tube on each side thsts cut and im not sure what its for