Help Please

Bnewton530

Dec 6, 2015
I have a Blaster from 1997 that i am having a strange issue with. i bought it cheap recently and it fired right up. It idled great but wouldnt accept any throttle. it would just pop through the carb. well i pulled the header and found that something had been living in there (it was plugged almost completely). well now it wont start at all and it seems like it is flooding. does anyone have any idea what happened? It ran with a bunch of backpressure but now it wont with free flowing exhaust. thanks

check for spark, new B8es plug, and your reeds are good...not cracked, chipped or broken.

could also be the bottom end of the crankcase area is flooded.
if so, no air/fuel mixture will make it to the cylinder.
to check this, or evacuate all the fuel from the cases: remove pipe from cylinder, turn off fuel, drain fuel from carb bowl, remove plug wire, hold throttle wide open and kick till your leg hurts.
fuel should be seen shooting out the exhaust port, and clear it enough to start.

First you need to do a compression test , leak down test and correct your jetting. If not , your next thread will be asking how to rebuild the engine.

i was wondering about that. wouldnt i get some fuel shooting from the exhaust? the reeds are in great shape as is the spark. when i get home tonight i'll give an evacuation an other shot. It has a Toomey B1 on it with vforce3 reeds. and a PWK 32. I was beginning to wonder if the jets are wrong. ill get back with reed specs tonight too

I was beginning to wonder if the jets are wrong.

it should still start and idle as it did, something happened since it's last start, and it wasn't jetting unless you changed it.

new plug, reeds, remove pipe to purge bottom end

I bet it flooded out when the exhaust backed up the vacuum and that's why it popped back through the carb

Reactions: Awk08
I'll keep my fingers crossed that that did not happen. They are carbon reeds. hopefully that was my saving grace.

lets see it got pics?
is tors deleted?
could have been a cheap stator replaced on it and that is why they sold it.
the 30-60 dollar stator's dont work on the blaster:)

okay guys, I did the purge and got nothin. I did a compression check and it passed. I fouled my plug so I swapped it and now I get a few pops on the kick but that's it. I also smell gas. Do you think the PO jetted the carb thinking that the exhaust was okay even though it was clogged?

Here is my carb:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125