Help - Blaster won't kick start.

fineazell2

May 4, 2009
I will try to give as much information as possible but please forgive me as I am a noob and I also know NOTHING about working on this machine.

I have 2 2004 Blasters.
1 is pretty much stock with a suicide throttle (TORS removed) and the other is a stock except is has FMF exaust.
I'll call them Blue and Red respectively.

Both ran fine until last weekend.

We rode them for a few hours, let them cool, then cleaned them up and then parked them. When I parked them they both ran fine and dandy.

I usually keep them at my in-law's house.
A week later I pulled them out and neither would idle.
I started Blue and drove to the pit (about 1/8th mile from garage) and back. Stopped, cut off. Started it again, still wouldn't idle. Sounded like it was missing a little also. Tinkered with the idle screw and changed out the plug (put in an autolite) and still didn't act right.

Same thing with the Red one.
We pulled the carb off, cleaned it out, tinkered with the idle screw, swapped the plug (again autolite) cleaned out the air filters (Blue has stock, Red has K&N) still no dice.

We loaded them up and took them to my house and parked them in the garage.

So yesterday we started working on them. We started with Blue.
Drained the gas, changed the oil, changed the plug (NGKBR8ES). Fired right up and after a minute of tinkering with the idle it is perfect.

On to RED with high hopes.
Same process - no dice.
Won't kick start. We can push it off and it seems a little bogged at first but then it runs fine - even idles albeit high. As we turn the idle screw it dies and won't kick start again.

So off to the elimination mode.
We swapped the carb with Blue - Blue still runs, Red doesn't
We swapped the CDI with blue - Blue still runs, Red doesn't
I attempted to bypass the TORS using the guide here to no avail.
I'm stumped. I have spark, I am getting fuel, I know the carb at least works on the blue machine. I know it runs if we push it off (no smoke).

What else should I check?
This is supposed to be my "good" 4 wheeler LOL.
I hope it is something silly that I am just not checking but I have no idea what.

Please please help. I will email you a picture of 1000 bux if you do :D
Seriously, any help is appreciated.

have you checked the reed cage out?
it could be as simple as a broken reed or something.

I know you are going to hate me but I have no idea how to do that. I am pretty smart and I do really well with picture books :D but seriously, I can check that if you tell me what I am looking for.

I looked up the reed cage. I had the intake and everything (yesterda) off so I could clean it and I took off the reed cage but I didn't know to look for anything broken. I will pull that tonight and see what I find.
Thanks

And if anybody else has any suggestions I am all ears (or eyes depending on how you look at it).

you wouldn't happen to have the fuel shut off on the tank would you? are you sure your getting good fuel flow? or maybe check your air filter.

Check to see if your choke is stuck open or if the carb is leaking gas the petcock might have dirt in it and making it stay open and just letting the gas flow all the time

I swapped out the carb and the one that came off worked on the other blaster (it really is nice to have one to swap parts with).

I'm starting to think it is the air filter.

I don't have a compression tester.

Yesterday I swapped air filters with the blue one and also the spark plug (figured what the hell - it can't hurt). Tried to start but wouldn't.
Pushed it off and it started fine. While it was running I pulled the top off the air box and felt very little suction coming from the air box.

So my question is...
How much suction should I feel coming from the intake when revving it high?

A neighbor of mine heard us outside trying to start the blaster yesterday and came over. He said it sounded like a piston. So we pulled the top end off and sure enough.

The rings had spun around and one seized up in the groove. There is obvious wear on the rings but the cylinder seems fine. I am going to take them up to the yamaha shop today and have them checked and order the new parts that I need.

I just wanted to give an update for those that come here looking for help with this problem.
As I said, we pulled the head off and the rings were badly worn (piston and cylinder were fine). I ordered new rings, replaced them, refilled all of my fluids and it fired up on the first kick. I made it through the 30% throttle break in stage yesterday and will run it for about 15 min at 50% today and then let it get cold. Then it should be ready to go.

I hope this helps anybody that may have the same issue.

Fineazell2 did you take the head in to have it honed? about 40$ with tax... will save you the trouble of replacing your Piston when it splodes :( like mine did.

Costing me 90$ to get it bored out, then 120$ for a new piston rings bearing. 25$ for a new gasket set.

25$ Hone OR 245$ all up to you :/

Fineazell2 did you take the head in to have it honed? about 40$ with tax... will save you the trouble of replacing your Piston when it splodes :( like mine did.

Costing me 90$ to get it bored out, then 120$ for a new piston rings bearing. 25$ for a new gasket set.

25$ Hone OR 245$ all up to you :/

Funny - I am reading this now - AFTER my brother called and let me know that the piston "sploded". Oh well, I am going to get a full top end build (was planning on it anyway) but you live and learn.

I actually brought the cylinder up to the cycle shop to see about getting it honed but decided not to after the guy told me it would bore it out .10. Guess I should have done it.

I wasn't trying to save money on the hone, I just didn't want to expand the cylinder wall any more since I wasn't changing piston.

At any rate, any suggestions on a top end rebuild kit would be greatly appreciated.

This was brought to my attention by the shop doing the bore.

Apparently the piston although may be sized at a specific specification, The piston its self may have a different shape/size or something to that matter.

Best bet take it to the shop, find out what bore they will be increasing to ( .060 .065 ) ect.

Then either buy your own kit of the according size, take it to them and let them bore it to that piston. or have them buy the parts and do it themselves.

Just don't forget it is a good idea to replace the gaskets and the bearing.

good luck