Helmet cameras

2003blast

Jun 16, 2009
I see a lot people making videos when they're on the trail. I would like to know wich is the best and is it better to mount it ont the bike or helmet. Trying to get info before purchasing. Thanks for all the help

I suggest a GoPro 3 silver (the 3+ has a cheaper, thinner case!) you wont need the remote the black has (we havnt even used ours)

On top of the helmet i believe would be the best spot. Sides it looks funny, and really bad when half the video is your helmet!

Many different places can be used on the blaster. I suggest a bar mount, which you can put on many places. Bars, front bumper, upper a-arm, nerf bars etc. Another nice thing about the bar mount, you can get a 3/4" pvc pipe inside of a 1" pvc, plus a 1" end cap (little tape inside holds it tight) and you have a $5 gopro extendable stick than would have cost you $50+ normally. A stick is useful for many angles and different shots (not on quads much). Snowboarding/skiing you can turn it towards you and do tricks, away from you and more steadily video others. You can use it as a short boom and get higher speed pics and vids (focus on the moving object, blur around it).

A professional camera thing i saw once was a 40' carbon fiber rod, on a moving pivot point. He could get still action pictures of cars doing 120+ mph (car still, surroundings blurred). Really cool pictures, but i doubt you have a few grand to blow on a stick I:I

Do you have to buy a helmet mount separate or is everything included that you would need

You will get 1 or 2 flat and curved mounts. Obviously use the curved on the helmet, but you can buy more mounts.

HERO3+ Silver Edition

I guess they dont have the plain 3 anymore. I would only buy these new though. Maybe its not a cheaper case, but my brother said it was a lot thinner than ours, and we broke the case...

Also, you will need a 32gb micro sd card, class 10

Anything smaller and it will probably get filled very fast. Our 32gb can hold 2 hours of video on high settings. even pictures are large and very clear

Thanx Herpderp, i was also wondering about the gopro. Are there any other comparable cameras out there though?

Contour would be the next, but i think the gopro would be the smartest decision. Its very versatile and pretty easy to use. I cant say the contour is harder, because i havnt used it, but i think gopro will probably beat it

Thanks for the responses very helpful I am not go with electronics so I worry I won't be able to figure it out