Hello from Cheyenne

MercMenace

Mountain Man
Apr 27, 2014
Cheyenne, Wy
Had a 89 Blaster when I was a 14. brand new loved it.

My girlfriend has a 12 yr old so now 23 years later I thought .. Hmm I loved my 2smoke. He's been riding small Automatics for a couple years now so i thought this would be a good bike to start teaching him how to work a clutch.

I picked up a 89 fixer upper off CL for 500 bucks. all stock . Ran When i bought it.

I forgot how much snort these little bikes had.

Now i am digging into it for my boy. PO problems up the Wazoo.

Initial Leak test was good. Compression was at 50PSI. Yikes. had been run rich it's whole life am guessing. Plug was dark, piston too, otherwise Jug was clean. Had to go .030 over on the piston. Installed my newly bored Jug. Compression test 120PSI. Awesome! Fired up 2nd kick. idled great with choke on, warmed up, Idled great choke off. Took for a test drive around the block taking it easy. Sat and let it idle a few minutes idle shot through the roof. Now it only runs right with the choke on. Guess I developed a leak somewhere. Hit the kill switch let it cool off. Went to grab my leakdown tester. I ran the SOB over puling out of the garage.

so need to find the leak.

PO installed a twist on it. I personally like it. I had one installed on my first blasty. Need to switch to a thumb throttle for son. But on top of that I think the PO took a full throttle from a bigger quad. The Tors unit was Siliconed to the top of the carb cause it is bigger than the carb.

I think that is the major stuff.

Oh yeah the Nerfbars are from a different quad too, barely held on.

I love this little bike. I have a line on a motor that I am sure needs a topend rebuild for 150 bucks. I am going to grab that and Start building me one too. I want something a bit more powerful tho So I am sure i will grab a Vitos 240, probably do a +4 swinger, broaden the stance a bit maybe a +4 or +6 A Arm swap.
GFs Father has a GREAT Shop so I am hoping to one off as much as I can.

I think having a little quad that can run with the big dogs is a brilliant thing.

Hopefully it won't be long before I can Start a build thread. I look forward to soaking up some of your knowlegde.

Yeah I already ordered a TORS delete and a thumb throttle. I am going to leak test tonight when I get home. If no leaks without carb then yeah thats where I am at. I am hoping it's not a gearbox seal or anything internal. Also hoping its not the Base Gasket too. I really don't want to take the jug off. Just got it bored and honed. hate messing with crap unnecessarily.

Last edited:
welcome to BF,
sounds like you already have a good handle on alot of this stuff
keep the info and pics comin

I guess a little Intro for the intro section might be nice.

38 originally from MN. Father raced dirt bikes in the 70's and 80's. really grew up around 2 strokes. He preached that air was the enemy. Had a little Yamaha 80 when i was i think 5 or 6. The Blaster was my first quad. Haven't been on a Dirt bike since.

Sold all my Toys (the ones I got in the divorce) and moved out to Cheyenne 2 years ago. Been riding mainly 4x4 Utility ATVs for the last couple years.

Have an MX Track a few miles from me but I am too damn old for anymore of that abuse. Now I just want to leave my ruts in nature. I do a lot of trail riding which is a bit different out here than back in MN. MN trails are a lot more technical. Too many damn trees. Out here I get on the pipe a lot more and a hell of a lot harder. I love it.

Welcome from across the pond, I know how you feel about too old, I can barely get my leg over at my age,( a bike that is).

Hope I didn't steal your thunder Blaaster. I've notice you seem to be the biggest fan of the Leak Down. I'd be ok with it if you told me to Leak Down test before I ride it. ;)

LOL Thanks for the Welcomes guys.

Reactions: BlasterFun484
Hope I didn't steal your thunder Blaaster. I've notice you seem to be the biggest fan of the Leak Down. I'd be ok with it if you told me to Leak Down test before I ride it. ;)

LOL Thanks for the Welcomes guys.
The reason that I promote leak testing is, because in my long years of fixing 2 strokes at least 90% of the damaged engines I have rebuilt have been destroyed by a lean mix caused by an air leak.

Every 2 stroke engine should be tested for leaks at least twice a season.

Often when a bike comes on the market it is because it has suffered an air leak and the owner has tried everything except fix the leak. They ram a large jet in, lift the needle, mask the air leak and as it still runs like crap, they sell it to some poor unsuspecting soul, who then gets bitten with a large repair bill.

Leak test when obtaining any 2 stroke, and twice a season. ( gets of soap box and swills a cool beer). :D

Haha. Blaaster I hear ya. But good news for the 2 stoke fans. We get cheap, usually easy to fix rigs. Now that I have my passion for them back. I'll try and save a few from the scrap heap.

You did remind me though I need to check my slide for clip position.

Raising a beer in salute to Blaaster.

Haha. Blaaster I hear ya. But good news for the 2 stoke fans. We get cheap, usually easy to fix rigs. Now that I have my passion for them back. I'll try and save a few from the scrap heap.

You did remind me though I need to check my slide for clip position.

Raising a beer in salute to Blaaster.
Raising a beer is a futile exercise, drink the sucker! :D:D:D