Head Mod by Ken

recruiter101st

Apr 24, 2011
Champaign, il
I recently just got my head back from ken.
I was running 4 degree advance, after installation of new head I also put the timing back to stock, Is it possible to run the 4 degree advance with the new head? Will it add even more performance?

Perhaps this is a question to ask the person who you got to mod the head.

I have HEARD that Ken O recommends stock timing. I'm sure he would rather see the compression increased versus the timing.

by modding the head, you are actually moving the spark plug closer to the top of the piston, thus reducing the distance the cumbustion process has to travel, so in theory, a modded head advances the timing by having the combustion occur sooner. so i would say stock timing is best, i had some detonation when i advanced mine with a moddd head but also was running too lean at the time

Ken recommends stock timing because he believes advancing the timing with the head mod puts a little more wear n the rod and crank than stock timing. Is this wear enough to decrease engine life? Most likely not. It is solely your choice. Flotek is just as good an engine builder as ken and recommends the timing advance. Almost all banshees you see will have their timing advanced and never see any problems. If you do run the advanced timing and the head mod, I would watch for pre-detonation because I have heard some people having to increase their octane with both while others run on 93.

It's the added compression itself that causes more wear on the bearings, but also the timing to a lesser extent.
You should be able to add as much timing as your compression and fuel octane will allow.
Saying Flotek does recommend it and Ken doesn't isn't really the case.
Different cuts and different fuels are gonna require different timing without pinging, detonation, auto ignition- the bad stuff.
There is a such thing as too much timing I've seen it myself in weed wacker motors. You gain low-end torque but lose rpms on top.
It can get to the point where your firing too soon and basically causing the motor to fight itself kinda like detonation but alot more controlled.