Hard to start

mckid

Nov 27, 2008
I just picked up a blaster, never been one for the 2 strokes but thought i would try it. The problem is that it is hard to start, i have spark and the only way to start it is to just remove plug and put fuel in. Thats the only way it will start. I am going to guess that it has to little compression and needs a rebuild?

If it runs when you dump fuel into it, then it obviously is not getting any fuel. Check the screen in your fuel petcock and clean/overhaul the carb. How old is the fuel? If you don't know then replace it with fresh.

If you are unsure about the compression, do a test and post the numbers.

Good luck.

It gets fuel, because once it has been started it will start again after that without dumping fuel in. And whne i try to start it without the fuel i remove the plug and it is wet. I cleaned the carb drained the gas changed the plug. And when it is running there is obvious piston slap.

Yes it runs, doesnt pull as hard as it should. If it sits for so long it wont start again. Its a 1990 and the guy i bought from had it sitting for years and it has never had the top end replaced.

I have done that, i have tried with the choke on and off, no go.
I may as well redo the top end and go from there, couldnt hurt it!

if you get the time...pull the head off and see if the cylinder sleeve is worn or if there is any signs of piston scratches

Its not the reeds as that is something i looked at. I am going to tear into it today and see what shape the cylinder is in.

how was the spark plug?? did you use a new one? I'd try to get it running, or at least figure out why it's hard to start before tearing into it. Definitely compression check it before tearing into it. you can rent them at autozone for a buck.

Its not the plug, i had replaced it 2 times already.
I dont think we have an auto zone here? "Alberta"
I took the engine out and removed the head and cylinder, it has some deep gouges. so just going to replace it all and go from there?