hard starting

willrespass

Jan 7, 2011
Ok. I traded for a 1996 blaster. It's a bear to start. You basically have to hook itvto the truck and pull it off in second gear. Once warmed up you can kick it to start it. But let it sit and you will never kick start it. Any thoughts?

Ya I would def check the compression!but u might have a weak coil!this stuff comes in a one step process ya know do one thing at a time an rule out stuff hope this helps!how does it run when u get it going!

start with the basics, compression test it, if its low it wont want to start when cold, pulling it behind something makes the motor spin up faster than the kicker will so they normally start..

also put a fresh plug in it, clean air filter, and clean the carb.

Runs good when started and warmed. When you kickstart it ,it seems to feel like its not getting a good hold. Feels like whatever is supposed to hold onto to rotate motor seems to just slide off. Man I got it from claimed it needed a crankshaft and gave me a new one. Could this make for the starting problem? And what's it gonna cost to just have this thing rebuilt?

Hello- i just finished a complete re-build, top and bottom end..as well as a new clutch and replaced everything in the clutch basket, pressure plate and clutch boss. also, replaced all seals and gaskets while cases were split. the entire process took roughly 75 hours for myself, and my buddy worked alongside me for roughly 30 hours. the bottom end took 4 nights in a row, from 7 - 2am. the rest was here and there. the motor runs beautifully now, bike woiuldn't idle before, now i can leave it running for 30 min, come back outside and its still purrin. this was my first complete re-build, but i have done a few scags (commercial mowers) so i have experience with working off of blown up diagrams. Anyways, give it a shot, i really enjoyed myself, just take the time to clean everything, and go the extra step and replace EVERYTHING while the cases are apart, you don't wanna do it again. in the end you"ll be happy u did, you will have a brand new bike for about 600 bucks!!

thats what the guy i bought my blaster was doing.it was the carburator.i pulled the carb appart and cleaned it and the plastic thing was in the wrong postion.but after all that it ran good.
oh and that was with low compression and the wore out everything.lol

Last edited:
how many kicks should it take on a cold blaster ? i am going to go though my carb it never seems to be right. when i have it adjusted to run right warm its a bear to start about 15 kicks but if i have it adjust to start on the second kick it does not idle right. i am going to pull the carb and go though it

my blaster,well after i bought the damn worn out thing.the piston ring pin(the lil pin that keeps the rings from freely moving was out of place).and the piston was scarred so was the cylinder.so you can imagine the low compression.damn a lil 12year old had no problems starting it and i was embarrased to own such a bike.but time goes on and i met strokedtater244 on utube and he told me about this site.and boy was i shocked.it feels good to own a blaster and i cant wait to get me parts in and back.so with the 15kicks to start.look at your electrical and fuel first.@NEONIGHT34609.sounds like you have a air leak some were.i have a lil xr80 ive been working on.and lil did i know it had a cracked intake boot.and it revved hard core untill i figured out the problem

i am going to pull the carb tomorrow and i will do a leak test. i already did one and didnt find anything but i will try again. this is a fresh rebuild done by me . my first one. i will check better tomorrow