Good Oil vs. Sh!tty Oil

nathanastone

Jan 30, 2010
South Carolina
Just rebuilt the top end on my Blasty about a month ago. I got in a hurry to ride and bought Valvoline 2 Stroke motorcycle oil for maybe $5.00 a quart with 87 gas. (Bad Idea) My motor was bogged down a little, pinging and chattering and lacking power. After about a week or two, I broke down and drove an hour to a race shop and picked up a few 12.9 oz bottles of Bel Ray for $9.00 a bottle and mixed it with high octane gas. Ouch! But...no more engine noise AT ALL, a significant increase in power and she's purring like a kitten. Learn from my mistake. You would probably rather eat filet mignon than dog food. Same with your blasty. Feed her the good stuff and she'll reward you for it. Any other crap parts = crappy performance stories?

I've been battling my carb for a while. lol My idle screw was stripped when I got it too, put a new screw in just to keep it together temporarily. homdaddy sent me one (for 10 bucks) I:I with the tors setup on top so I can do the idle adjustment. It runs like a raped ape right now but still won't idle. I tried to adj it up on the bars with no luck. Hopefully the new carb will do the trick. I'm also looking into a new carb and full pipe setup for the near future. I don't want to start another pipe war but any suggestions?

I know what you meen... I ran dominator once... It ran better with outboard oil then that crap.
I'm going to swich to hp2 this spring, I've heard alot of really good things about it and its the only oil good oil I can find round here.

I know what you meen... I ran dominator once... It ran better with outboard oil then that crap.
I'm going to swich to hp2 this spring, I've heard alot of really good things about it and its the oil good oil I can find round here.

hp2 as in pro honda hp2??

i hope so... i run pro honda hp2 love it!!!!! ran it in my blaster... she lasted all winter on sh*tty jetting!! she was lean and it stayed together.. i run it in everything.. i found some cheaper stuff that seems to be compairable to the hp2 and only 5 bucks a quart compaired to 8 a pint

hp2 as in pro honda hp2??
Yessier
Thumbsup2.gif

I might experiment with a few different brands while I still have the stock motor. See what I like. I'm gonna have to try the smell test 4cfed mentioned too.

Smell doesn't always do the trick though, I have some really sh*tty oil that was bought from god knows where and the sh*t looks, and smells pretty decent.

like i tell everyone smell the oil.... the better the smell the better it is... true store... cheap oils smell like cat piss

that racey odor is castor you are smelling ,that cat urine stench is a pungent solvent the manufacturers add as a base to their synthetic oils ,i would have to put amsoil in the same category as the valvoline 3 dollar crap.to their credit amsoil has done a wonderful job marketing their stuff at car shows and tractor pulls though(free stickers and everybody around seems to be a dealer lol),im sure for 4 poke automotive applications their stuff is fine but like many of these big names the 2 stroke blends they offer need some major work and sent back to the drawing board ,synthetics have a hig h flash point to able ot operate at those wild ratios ,skip that stuff for your high rpm aircooled engine and get a castor based product ...stick with klotz technaplate or 927 at 32-1 ratio and you cant go wrong