Going to install a Toomey B-1

CooklamuK

Oct 17, 2014
Michigan
I'm installing my B-1 today and I was reading over the install sheet and it says to set the air screw to 3/4 turn from all the way in. I know stock is 1 - 1.5 turns out from all the way in. I just am curious on if this correct. I don't want to take any chances on blowing up my Blasty after my install

the directions are correct 3/4 of a turn.
but just play with it to achieve the best
try the 3/4 of turn..if not up it the desired idle/respons:)

Last edited:
Reactions: CooklamuK
the directions are correct 3/4 of a turn.
but just play with it to achieve the best
try the 3/4 of turn..if not up it the desired idle/response:)
It just seems odd that the kit comes with a larger main jet and they also suggest to set the air screw richer. I guess I'll find out what happens this afternoon haha.

Reactions: speedyslyder
Do it the following way.

Idle speed adjustment.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

On a jetting note, if you fully remove the airbox lid, you may need a #320 main, more air will be able to enter the box.

Another one, if you pre mix at 32:1 you may find you need one more size main.

It is a must to plug chop to confirm jetting.

Last edited:
So Blaaster, pretty much I want to adjust the air screw until I get the fastest idle and then set the idle back to normal? I've heard this in a video before but I just want to verify. You are way more qualified for advice than from a random YouTube video :D

So Blaaster, pretty much I want to adjust the air screw until I get the fastest idle and then set the idle back to normal? I've heard this in a video before but I just want to verify. You are way more qualified for advice than from a random YouTube video :D
Got it in one, the airscrews job is to allow air to mix with fuel supplied by the pilot jet.

Follow the instructions in my post and all will be apples.

It's primarily function is to control idle speed. It also has a little say in the mix up to 1/4 throttle opening where the needle controls the flow.

Once idle is set correctly seldom does the air screw have to be re adjusted.

Got it in one, the airscrews job is to allow air to mix with fuel supplied by the pilot jet.

Follow the instructions in my post and all will be apples.

It's primarily function is to control idle speed. It also has a little say in the mix up to 1/4 throttle opening where the needle controls the flow.

Once idle is set correctly seldom does the air screw have to be re adjusted.
Thank you Blaaster! Just out of curiosity, is this video similar to what you described in your first comment?

Yup that is pretty much it, main thing is to only turn the air screw a little bit at a time and leave time for the engine to respond.

Update on the pipe kit and VF4 reed install. I still have some fine tuning to do on the carb but man does my Blasty feel great! The power band comes out of nowhere midway to full tilt and I couldn't enjoy it more haha! One thing I noticed is that it feels a little sluggish in 1st and 2nd, I go through those gears real quick but once I hit 3rd, I'm out of the hole like a bat outa hell. :D