Going through axle bearings like its going out of fashion!!

J4M1E333

Oct 11, 2009
North Wales
As the title states my blaster is going through axle bearings in no time at all, some have lasted only a couple of hours

after reading a few posts ive come to the conclusion that between the two bearings, in the carrier, should be a sleeve that the bearings tighten against which is missing.

Just wondering if anyone could confirm this and possibly give me dimensions of the inner sleeve i am missing??

i know i could measure between the two but want to make it before i strip the axle/carrier down.

Thanks in advance

why make one? you can buy a complete used carrier for under $20 on ebay... another thing that might be effecting your carrier baerign is chain adjustment.. 2 ways... the chain being WAY to tight.. or.. you;ve got eh axle adjusted at an angle.. yes that can happen on a yamaha with teh goofy as chain tensioner design..

i had that prob before, when the first one went it damaged the carrier where the bearing sits, so the new one didnt sit in there perfectly straight and failed on like the second ride, had to get a new carrier, but had to make that spacer outta 1 1/4" electrical conduit, worked for years after that,
so i'd agree, get a hole new setup and add a grease fitting while apart, so you can get all the filings from drilling and tapping it outta there

im in the uk so a new carrier is like £100, looking at about $200 shipped over to the uk :(

will keep my eye out for a new set-up though.

Thanks for your help guys, :)

add a grease fitting while apart, so you can get all the filings from drilling and tapping it outta there

do you mean add a grease nipple? where?

Thanks again :)

get a used carrier from ebay for way cheaper than new, and yeah add a gease fitting to the carrier, and keep it packed with grease, mainly just keeps the mud and water out, which imo is the main cause of bearing failures
heres a pic that shows my grease fitting..............

HPIM1862.jpg