Gladwin

GraffitiDan

Apr 14, 2009
East Lansing, Mi
I took the blaster and my friend had his drz-400 up to Gladwin this weekend. We initially took the southern loop from the parking spot and it was pretty sandy and it was 80% whoops. So it was cool on the quad but the bike had some troubles.

We hit some really deep puddles and got pretty dirty. It was kind of crazy too because we were at the bottom of the loop and I checked my tank and it was looking pretty low, which was surprising because I left about 10 miles before with a fairly full tank. I decided to give the throttle a break and it seemed to last longer but 3/4 of the way back I ran out ... thank god for reserve! I made it back to the lot just in time.

After a bit of rain we took the northern loop which was about half as long, but about twice as fun. It was part of the MCCT so it was well packed and had lots of turns but minimal whoops ... I topped out the blaster going 45 down a road that connected two trails. Really a good time up there.

It for sure isn't my most favorite spot to go so far, but was a good day trip.

Oh yeah ... and I must be a fat ass because after so many ups and downs my friend pointed out that my muffler (which was absolutely beyond cleaning) was shiney and new. It looked like my tire was rubbing as it bottomed out.

So that was interesting ... but then about 200 yards into the second trail I heard some loud noises so I pulled off and checked it out, and my muffler had fallen off! It must have bent the bracket and popped the bolts as I bottomed out. The rubber coupling between the spark arrestor and the muffler just ripped in half.

I think I'll be able to reattach the muffler with some new bolts ... but it was pretty hilarious driving down the trail with a muffler stuck in my front guard (had to ride that trail!)

did you get any pics, i've driven through gladwin before to go kayaking and wondered what is like, and can you ride to bull gap from there? thanks for the review and sorry about all the questions.

Sorry forgot to bring the camera on this trip. If you like whoops then it's a great time, good variety of terrain, hills, forest, fields. There wasn't a lot of mud, good or bad ... and there was a lot of sandy trails good or bad.

I don't remember seeing a passage to bull gap.

We live about 20 minutes from Gladwin trails.... We usually try not to go there often because it is usually whooped out so badly... It get sort of old after we go there so much... And that south loop is usually pretty mudded out ! Sounds like an interesting ride

did you get any pics, i've driven through gladwin before to go kayaking and wondered what is like, and can you ride to bull gap from there? thanks for the review and sorry about all the questions.

You most deffinately cannot ride to Bull gap from Gladwin. It's an hour and a half drive to get there.

There's a ton of trail heads that will allow access to the gap, including a campground that has direct access to the trails. My favorite and the longest route is to ride from South branch continuing onto Mckinley (street legal in town) and stop for some gas and a bite to eat at the bar and then head back.

this is me and some people at the scramble area at gladwin but it is gated off now

sorry about the sound in the 1 vid

Last edited by a moderator:
We're exactly in Gladwin is the North Loop and South Loop? My parents have a cottage up in Gladwin but I do not know where any of the trails are. I know there are a couple of ORV trails on M-61 near Standish.

gladwin should be on the map i left in the other thread.

Yea, thanks for the link! I see Gladwin on the map. They are the trails on M-61 (didn't think that was Gladwin). Although, it doesn't call them out as South Loop/North Loop like people in this thread mention. Anyone have more info? I'm going to try and head up next weekend to check them out.

Gladwin has Finally opened up B)

Gladwin County orv map 8-11-09
2zjgdog.jpg

Gladwin Trail Head Map 2009
334p2mo.jpg

You can download a higher detailed version of each from here in jpg format for printing
ORV RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
Trail Head RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Last edited: