General questions about setting up for dirt racing

yamaha28

Apr 8, 2011
I have a bunch of questions about what to run on my blaster every time I look at it again. So this will be the thread where I ask all of those questions! I appreciate in advance all the help you guys will give me. On to questions!

1. What sprocket combo should I be running with 20x11 rear tires?
2. How long should my chain be for a +2 swinger?
3. What size chain, 520, 520 o-ring, 420?
4.What grips to you guys use?
5. Can I run a custom air filter setup like a air filter connected straight to the carb with a spacer? Or will that get to dirty?

That's it for now but I am sure there will be more later. Thanks!

1. i would try the 13/40 gearing with the 20 inch tires
2. you need to add 4 links to the stock length for the +2 swinger
3. for a racing app, I would use a standard 520 chain. It takes less power to turn versus an o-ring chain. I like a 520 o-ring for trail riding because they last longer.
4. I really like the OURY grips
5. I prefer an airbox setup, the pod filter with the velocity tube does work, but I like having it out of the way and protected a little more.

This is assuming that you're doing MX type racing.

1. i would try the 13/40 gearing with the 20 inch tires
2. you need to add 4 links to the stock length for the +2 swinger
3. for a racing app, I would use a standard 520 chain. It takes less power to turn versus an o-ring chain. I like a 520 o-ring for trail riding because they last longer.
4. I really like the OURY grips
5. I prefer an airbox setup, the pod filter with the velocity tube does work, but I like having it out of the way and protected a little more.

This is assuming that you're doing MX type racing.

yep, that's what I was looking for! I use the OURY grips for trail riding, but I don't know if they have enough grip for racing.

i wouldn't think you'd have any problems, I usually ride pretty aggressively, and I don't have any problems