Gearing/Tire/Sprocket questions

Luni

Sep 9, 2009
Layton, UT
www.celicatech.com
Ive been searching around for info on sprockets, my front is very worn out and needs to be replaced, and I know it affects gearing, and I keep reading about this 14/40 gearing - I guess its a +1 tooth front sprocket with the stock rear sprocket.

So, first off, I do plan on getting different tires for my blaster, and making my stance a little wider using either extended a-arms or the a-arm extension kit from diamond I think it is (theyre on ebay Im sure you guys knwo which one Im talking about), and I need to know about the sprocket.

I ride primarily mountainous terrain (live in Utah), at elevations ranging from 6000 to 10000 feet.

First, what size front sprocket should I get if I want a decent low end, but still plenty of top end, and what size rear tires shoudl I get when I buy new ones (for all I know mine has stock sized tires on it right now)

at 6000+ feet, I would consider getting the head shaved to increase compression (offtopic) if you have stock power I would stick with stock gearing for now as the elevation will decrease your power. with a decent pipe, no airbox lid , head mod and 20" tires 14/40 would be very doable. The elevation is a real power killer

Sorry, I guess I should have specified.

I do NOT have stock power. I have an FMF Fat Pipe, and Wiesco piston, and Im pretty sure its bored and possibly stroked (honestly nobody knows, it was given to me by my GFs dad, and he doesnt even know what all it has). It also has an aftermarket carb on it (I dont know which one, but it has a brand, I can find out later).

All I know is Im 6'2 and 245ish pounds (varies by season :p) and this thing will throw me off if I dont lean forward when I accelerate. Its way quicker than my GFs uncles stock blaster (we KNOW that one is bone stock).

So, I know work has been done, but I dont know what all work has been done.

As educated guess as I can get is better than what I already have.

Yeah, it pulls gearing well enough. However, I want to increase the tire size and width.

And I have to replace the sprocket anyway, so just looking to see if the 14 tooth would be good, or if I should just stay with stock.

I guess what Im asking, is can I run the 14 tooth and be ok in your opinion?

My bike definately makes more power than a stock blaster thats for sure. Its pretty nutty. Its a helluva lot more powerful than Id have thought it should be.

If your getting larger tires leave the gearing stock for now. A larger tire makes the gear ratio higher becuase theres more rotating mass. If you feel you need more gear drop to an 38 for the rear and see how it feels.

Ok, let me ask another question about this.

What will a larger tire really do for me? I see all these guys running 18s, or 20s, or whatever, but in the end what do they do?

I ride primarily in mountains and hilly places. I dont do sand dunes, and I dont do urban type stuff.

I have "ballon" type tires. I know I want to get flat topped ones, I want more stability and easier sliding style riding.

I know I want to get an extended swingarm and a wider track in front so Im more stable there. Why do people usually go with larger tires?

Basically a smaller tire hooks up better in a stright line and corners better due to a lower cg. also less rotational mass so you have more wheel spin, good for milder bikes and mx.
A larger tire has more rotating mass so people who are putting alot of power to the ground -i.e drag bikes, duners ect- need them for more gear, they have more ground clearance for people who need it, and if you get a longer swinger a bigger tire is a good idea for more travel.

20"s are a good meadium unless your need more ground clearance.
I personally like 18"s but thats just me...

For you since you ride in hilly places and are getting a longer swinger 20"s would be perfect.

21" The funny thing is since they are balloons they measure a little tall
heres when I had the stockers next to some 22x12x10 monsters.

HPIM0773.jpg

Basically a smaller tire hooks up better in a stright line and corners better due to a lower cg. also less rotational mass so you have more wheel spin, good for milder bikes and mx.
A larger tire has more rotating mass so people who are putting alot of power to the ground -i.e drag bikes, duners ect- need them for more gear, they have more ground clearance for people who need it, and if you get a longer swinger a bigger tire is a good idea for more travel.

20"s are a good meadium unless your need more ground clearance.
I personally like 18"s but thats just me...

For you since you ride in hilly places and are getting a longer swinger 20"s would be perfect.

One of the key reasons I run bigger tires is that a bigger tire will roll thru a ditch, rut, whoop etc much easier than a little tire. And for the added ground clearance. An 18" tire turns great but will catch the ruts more. The taller tire also helps to keep from dinging rims on rocks.

Ok, so then, I want to go maybe to a 22 flat topped tire instead of the 21 inch ballon.

So based on that, and the type of riding Ive said Ill be doing, help me decide on a sprocket?

22 is a pretty big tire to me...i run 18's and 14/40 gearing it pulls very hard through all the gears as long as i shift at a high rpm if i dont it will sometimes bog just a little and my mods are a full dg pipe, boyeson reeds, k&n air filter. im pretty sure if i had 22's on it it would bog a helluva lot more but thats just my opinion. i personally like the 18's looks better than a big ass tires on a little quad and the ground clearance isnt gonna be that much of a difference than the 18's and 20's

prolly about this much lol

lol not enough for me to worry about

If you only ride trails, taller is better for tire size. The 22's are prob a good choice, but since taller tires give you a higher gear ratio, I would stick with the stock gearing until after the tires are on. 14/40 gearing is for increasing your top-speed, something you are going to find hard to acheive on trails, but at the same time taller tires also increase your speed and reduce your torque just like higher gear ratios. Adding a 14 later is a snap (and cheap) if you decide you still have monster torque and want to turn some of it into MPH.

BTW, width has nothing to do with gearing, but it's damn nice to have. Something to keep in mind tho, longer a-arms and swingarms reduce your effective springrate, you might need to get different springs, especially since you said you aren't a little guy.

Oh and buy tires designed for trail use, basic MX Holeshots like a lot people (and myself) run won't stand up to serious rocks and such. GNCC's are nice.

utah mountains.... I did a national hare and hound there.. started in sand dunes,,then trails and bushes..wicked bushes...then trees.. (I dont like trees, they arent very nerfable) and I started getting cold, then little patches of snow, then lots of snow, then a clearing... The pits were wayyyyy down there..Im on a freaking mountain, what the hell am I doing on a mountain?? Im a desert racer not a freaking goat! got second overall atv though (Overall, against the 250r's banshees etc..) :D Not bad on a 200 cc blaster against the big boys.